cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glastonbury Coverage - What Happened?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why was O2's service quite so awful this year at Glastonbury?

I understand that the festival is in a remote area where the network is sized for one man and his dog so some disruption is to be expected, but most networks put in additional capacity - the service from O2 this year was far worse than the service provided by O2 in previous years.

To place a call you would have to redial maybe 5-10 times to get past a 'network busy' message and be connected. Sending texts you would maybe have to try a couple of times, but receiving texts was next to impossible, with the network holding them (presumably) to save capacity, and not actually delivering messages to my handset until 3-4am the following morning (when I guess the network was less busy).

Data services also seemed to be switched off for the whole festival, with the exception of the 3am - 9am slot each day...

So what happened? I appreciate that the area is remote, but oddly O2 provided better coverage last year than they did this year. Did O2 not bother putting in temporary masts this year?

Other network operators (Orange, Vodafone, etc...) put in extra capacity to deal with the festival traffic. My mate on Vodafone had near perfect service for the whole week on site. Why did O2 not make the effort?

Likely to switch to Voda next time around, at least they can be bothered to make some effort to cater for such events...
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
it seams to be a common habbit of O2's during events or festivals. I was at Silverstone last weekend and had the same problems with the 'network busy' and no data service until well after peak times.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was dreadful. Why? I had exactly the same experience with some texts arriving in the middle of the night and some days after being sent. Funnily enough all the iPhones seemed unaffected.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was dreadful. Why? I had exactly the same experience with some texts arriving in the middle of the night and some days after being sent. Funnily enough all the iPhones seemed unaffected.

I was there too, coverage for the entire range of services was awful. Ridiculous to suggest that last part though.
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just been given a £15 credit on my account for this wink
Message 5 of 5