Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Team, I am a victim of Identity Theft

Ahmed3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had letters from O2 on 6th and 8th July 2023 arriving in the post addressed to me demanding payments of £1302, £1050, £1269 and £1112.  I am a victim of identity theft and never opened the account, a scammer did.  The debts show up on my TransUnion Credit Report, I lodged a complaint with them a week later and they rejected it without appeal. 

I initially called them on the number  0344 809 0202 from the letter to explain the situation. The call handlers took lots of details but said they cannot help as they cannot locate the account number, and my details do not match.  I asked to speak to the complaints department and they said there is no such facility.  Each time the call is passed to someone who cannot help.  I called several times only to get fed up after being passed around and me having to repeat my request, which is to lodge a complaint and get them to investigate. 

I emailed the complaintreviewservice@ O2.com on 12th July with acknowledgement but no reply up until 11th Sep 2023.  A second email sent on 8th September without reply.  Emailed o2fraudteam@o2.com on 4th Sep with no reply as at 11th Sep 2023. 

I called them again today on 11th Sep 23 and spoke to an Indian Gentleman called Granville, with a call lasting 75mins.  I gave them every detail of the letters and they said they have no facility to accept scans of them or acknowledge the complaint to me via my email.  They gave me a Complaint Ref  CCT-A00513826
and promised they will sort it in the next week.  The fraudulent account numbers are 12000047840 and
12000047841 respectively. 

My credit score has dropped by 100 points and my bank will not increase my Credit Card Limit.  I am very distraught a complaint is not being dealt with properly.  The police and my bank said Lodge a report through Action Fraud on their website which l have done,  and after calling them they said no one in their organisation will actually investigate anything (They only pass forward details onto a database and give a crime ref number). 

I am tired of this and will be visiting the nearest O2 shop to speak to someone in person if this is not dealt with.

Ahmed

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10290 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3024 Solutions

@Ahmed3 

The shop wont be able to do anything, and no one until the investigations are complete is allowed to tell you anything due to the regulations in place with regards to fraud.. 

I had to have a check on what Action Fraud do when they log a case and sounds like the person wasn't correct as per this https://www.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/fa/fraud/action-fraud/#What%20Happens%20After%20...

You might be better using the Resolver website https://resolver.co.uk

Make sure you have documentation scanned and ready to go with resolver... 

Otherwise your only option is to persevere with o2, I am sorry to say..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

Ahmed3
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh thanks I will try resolver.    am at the mercy of O2 and scammers at present.  

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10290 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3024 Solutions

@Ahmed3 

Good Luck, and hope you get it all sorted asap..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145078 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@Ahmed3 

All we can offer is O2's own advice posted on this forum.

"If you think you’ve been the victim of fraud – whether it’s because you’ve given details to someone over the phone, or clicked on a link in a suspicious text or email there are things you can do:
Contact your bank if you think you may have given out financial information. They can help protect your account and stop transactions.
Change your account and online account passwords. Not just your O2 account. All of them.
Forward fraudulent texts to O2 for free on 7726.
Contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Call your Virgin Media or O2 customer services number if you think somebody’s taken out a contract using your details.
Virgin Media customers can phone 150 from their landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.
O2 customers can call 202 from their O2 phone or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone."

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 5