cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair Compromise?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had my I-phone 5 alongside my I-pod and umbrella stolen from a nightclub in London last night. Didn't have insurance for my phone, although I was planning on getting some tied up with my bank before I move countries for work at the start of January 2013.

I agreed a new contract to work abroad with my company approximately 2 months or so after I started up my new I-phone contract, so was unaware I would effectively not need the phone at all for at least January-December 2013 and potentially longer (moving to Manila from the UK).

So I rang up 02 with the hope that given I have had a pay-monthly contract with them now for 10 years 8 months (hell, I used to use them when they were BT Cellnet back in 99' when I was 12), direct debit, having paid thousands of pounds in contract fees to them down the years, that they might reward my loyalty with being so kind as to maybe halving the contract payment that I have already agreed to, given that I would effectively be paying for a service that I am unable to use a) due to being abroad and b) due to my phone being stolen.

Spoke to two representatives who both stuck to their guns in telling me that as I've signed up to that contract that contract is final. Understandable, but surely, surely, for someone who has shown alot of loyalty and commitment to 02, and who has no intention whatsoever of jumping ship to any of its competitors, someone could change my contract to reflect special circumstances?

I'm only asking them to effectively waive £550- for me that as for most people that is a fair few quid however. 

Feel like I've been treated very badly as a long-term customer.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

The longevity of association I am afraid does not come into it, its not O2's fault your situation has changed. Its unfortunate that you had your phone stolen as you could have sold that to pay off some of the contract. 

Is there no way you can claim under your house or contents insurance?

Have you set up GPS tracking on it?

Message 2 of 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Employer will often pay expenses incurred with taking a job abroad.
Have you check if the cost of terminating a mobile contract is covered by your employer?

Message 3 of 3