cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUD DEPARTMENT - Please help me!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in a major panic and do not seem to have made any progress with the fact that somebody fraudulantly used one of my bank accounts (up until this, the account had been opened but unused, not even taken the card off the original letter it came with) to obtain what I believe to be 2xcontract mobiles from o2! I was first made aware of what had gone on when, my bank notified me that I had accrued bank charges on the account for 2 x unpaid Direct Debits! This whole nightmare started on 8th April 2015 and is continuing to cause me great upset to be honest!

I followed procedure and immediatly contacted my bank, in turn they stopped any further transactions relating to o2. I then called o2 Customer Services (it was a Saturday) who informed me after taking my details that someone from the Fraud Department would contact me within the next 5-7 days once my case had been raised and allocated to an investigator! The following week I recieved a very brief call, didnt even get a name! To my surprise, they requested that I contact my bank again and ask them to confirm to o2 that I had reported this activity on my bank........The banks reply was,"O2 will have already recieved this confirmation as an automatic report will have been issued to the merchant when the complaint was first raised"

Since this.......All I have heard from o2 is letters of the usual threatening content which was also getting highly frustrating! I contacted o2 yet again.....I was reassured that the Investigation Team would indeed be gathering what information they needed and not to worry about these letters as they are dispatched automatically. Today........I get a letter from a debt recovery agent demanding over £800!!! Ive spent the last 4 years paying my debts off with the aim of getting a mortgage in the next few years and feel so let down and disheartened by this incident. I have enough crap going on in my life and dont need someone elses **bleep** to deal with!!! I am actually an EE customer and have been for around 6-7 years...... I think I will remain lotyal to them as the customer service team are so helpful and contact me when they say they will!!

Honestly......I just dont know what to do about the whole thing........Im sat here devastated and feel like my bloody world is crashing down because of some scheming thief and a Mobile Phone company that just allows it to continue with no consideration how this may affect the victim! so Angry!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I trust you have reported this to the police already?
This is a customer forum so other than giving you links for CS and higher level complaints, there is little else we can do for you, except sympathise 😞
http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have reported it yes.......I know and I have waffled on a lot, needed to vent I think lol!  I was also wondering if this had happened to anyone else......Just how easy it to order on the website? Also wondering what checks are done and what information you, as a customer have to provide them with??

Many Thanks

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Name, address and credit card is all that is required.
Someone must have got all this info about you and unfortunately it is easily done these days.
The fraud dept should investigate this properly but you need to remember that the "system" will continue to generate bills and letters until it is sorted out.
They do deal with this kind of thing on a regular basis and you just have to allow them time to do their job.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whilst I do understand that the department has to continue with their investigations, I think the lack of communication from them has been very poor to say the least! Also, regards the Credit Agreement and DD Mandate......I presume the customer is required to provide a signed copy???

I had relocated to a different town late last year but when I had checked with the bank, I had no correspondence going to my old address once my details were changed. I wish I could find out which address was used! That is the only logical explanation I can come up with! 

Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I really am amazed that O2 can be so negative and unhelpful with something like this. I have experienced fraudulent activity on our joint account on three occasions. My bank contacted me before I even realised I had a problem. They could track my activity so knew I hadn't been in USA or Australia. Blocked my account immediately and refunded the monies taken within 24 hrs.

I know this is a slightly different scenario...but if one big business can operate in such a helpful considerate way...I have no idea why O2 can't do the same.  They just seem to find it easier to presume guilt...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is exactly my point! My bank sorted it within minutes! 

I know that fraud relating to bank accounts a identity theft is a very common problem, this is an unfortunate result of how we live our lives now, the internet, online accounts and social media. I am so careful when it comes to my details......Shred all letters and keep my privacy settings so nobody can gain info etc. Yet I do feel like I am the one who is the main suspect, but I have to guess whats going on as the silence from o2 regards this is absolutely deafening lol

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They don't keep you in the loop, as it were - everyone is treated as guilty until they have concluded the investigation.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
They don't keep you in the loop, as it were - everyone is treated as guilty until they have concluded the investigation.

What brilliant customer service....NOT...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This type of fraud has been going on for years and O2 reckoned they had tightened up security. To be fair we haven't seen many lately but they take a hell of a time to sort out.

One of our members @perksie had fraud on his account and I believe it was 6 months to fully sort out.

Just a few of the threads, there are many more if you search.

http://www.whywaitforever.com/letters/o2fraud.html

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/My-O2-account-was-hacked/td-p/209072/highlight/tru...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Fraud-How-can-this-happen/td-p/377498

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Fraudulent-Account/td-p/74495

Message 10 of 14