cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-SIM > Good idea, or bad ?? Thoughts appreciated....

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Having just installed an E-Sim into my Pixel 4 to free up the physical SIM slot for a second SIM, it occurs to me that there are potential pros and cons to E-SIMs

Pro(s)

*Usage of a second SIM - some dual SIM devices only accept one physical SIM, + one E-SIM

*(very) slightly less plastic used??

...I can't think of any more pros... hushed

Con(s)

*If the phone is damaged/waterlogged/smashed, a "real" SIM usually be removed and put into another phone, E-SIMs will only work in first device that they are used in (they can, however be re-installed into the same device) - so if you have an incident abroad, you're shafted, as replacement E-SIMs are only sent to your home address

Maybe fellow members can think of more pros and cons yahoo because I can't help wondering if it wouldn't have been easier to just have two SIM card slots...

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
Message 2 of 3

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Interesting reading, @Bambino - thanks for taking the time to post.

I wouldn't think that damaging a SIM card was much of an issue, but losing one, especially whilst abroad, definitely is - at least with the e-sim you can get the replacement sent home, and have someone photograph it, to then be emailed to you. But wouldn't it be easier if O2 could email it directly, after appropriate security measures? (or let you download it from your account)

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 3 of 3