cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have a Nokia 5800?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Morning!

To cut a long story short, I had an iPhone but had rubbish signal so returned it. I sold my iPod touch to go towards buying it so now I'm left with neither. I have been in two minds what to buy now.

I need a new phone and I have been tempted by the Nokia 5800. I can get it for £299 direct from Nokia with a year's free music downloads. It is either that or the new 64gb iPod Touch, also £299.

I'm just wanting some opinions on the phone really. Loved my iPod Touch and I'm not sure that the 5800 can replace it. Are there any good games to download for the 5800? Is the web browser any good? What about the screen?

Any advice is really appreciated, I'm going to order one or the other today so need your help :O)

Thanks,

Andrew
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear you had a poor signal, I considered the 5800 before I purchased the iPhone 3G - I certainly made the right choice.

It's a matter of personal preference I know, but having held the 5800 in the shop it's like a toy, it feels very plasticky and cheap. That alone put me off the phone, because build quality is important to me, even though I look after a phone (case, screen protector).

SV
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
An iPod Touch isn't going to replace a mobile unless you don't make calls on it.

I think you'd be pretty happy with a 5800, it's a good music phone and since it runs Symbian (like E and N series Nokias), there's loads of apps - including games - for it. Check either O2's own website, or a third party one like Gameloft. There's also a bunch on Ovi, Nokia's app store.

The web browser is based on the same core as the iPhone's browser, so it'll render pretty much the same. Symbian phones also support Flash, whereas the iPhones don't, so I personally find it a better browsing experience. The 5800 also has a higher resolution screen than the iPhones and iPod Touches have, albeit with a resistive rather than capacitive touchscreen.

Throw in a superior camera to that of the iPhones, cheaper tariffs and fewer platform restrictions (yay for Flash and Java!) and you'll find that a mid-market phone matches and in some ways outperforms an expensive high-end phone. But the real clincher for me would be the unlimited music downloads from the Nokia Comes With Music package. If you're going to be legit and pay for your music downloads, then Comes With Music is way way better value than iTunes.

The choice is yours. So how much do you value the cool factor of the Apple logo?
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just got the 5800 and i love it, dont think it looks plasticky and cheap as other commented, it looks great, feels nice and not too big and bulky and the touch side works a treat.
Best thing might be to go into a shop and look at it.
Message 4 of 4