Did you mean: 

Do you self-diagnose at home?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

Continuing with some interesting health-related discussions from last week, we'd like to ask about your views and experiences on self-diagnosing at home.

Nowadays there are an increasing number of online and mobile resources and services for many related things such as...

• Looking up symptoms online or via an app on your phone (such as WebMd and NHS symptoms checkers)
  • Finding home remedies to try from online/mobile resources
  • Doing your vitamin and cholesterol blood tests as well as allergy and intolerance tests at home with online services
  • Consulting with a virtual doctor online or via an app (e.g. Babylon Health)

Have you used any of these types of services and self-diagnosing resources (or anything similar not mentioned above?) How have they worked for you? What do you think about them in general and do you feel there is a gap of certain types of online tools/apps that you'd love to use in the future? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I do google my symptoms, it’s just to confirm that I need to make an appointment with my GP. 

But it can make you paranoid, so perhaps it’s best not to  thinking

Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Due to my background, I'm usually the one asked to diagnose people!!

The problem with checking symptoms on the internet, it can be a dangerous game in my opinion.

There could be many many conditions all displaying similar symptoms. You could, quite easily, miss something important.

Look, I wouldn't dream of diagnosing a mechanical problem with my car. It isn't my area of expertise. 

I think these apps and resources have a place. However, you have many people who will avoid a trip to the doctor at any cost.

I know of loads of people who have misdiagnosed themselves.

Sometimes leaving it too late to get the proper treatment.

What you think your condition could be, very rarely is.

Don't forget every person is different in the way they react to being ill. They would far rather battle on with their head in the sand than seek professional diagnosis and treatment. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think @Cleoriff has perfectly summed up the potential risks with self-diagnosis. That said, depending on where you live, for many people it’s becoming increasingly difficult to get an appointment with their GP (at least not straight away), and I do fear that online help may soon be seen as being the first port of call in starting that process. 

Message 4 of 14

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I totally agree with @Cleoriff's comments 

If I'm ill, not just a cold or the flu, I make an appointment to see my doctor. And no one hates visiting a doctor more than me Smiley Very Happy

Self-diagnosing is dangerous and often leads people to worrying about their self-diagnosis, which is proved to be totally wrong. And, as @Cleoriff says, it could lead to serious problems down the line by not catching something that is serious earlier.

If you feel ill, and it's not your common or garden cold or the flu, see your doctor. He/she can put your mind at rest or arrange for further tests if deemed necessary. Much better to be safe than sorry.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 14

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

After the last year i had with my dear mum who passed in november i wouldnt trust the NHS up here nor the doctor ,

The NHS is still a sore subject and i am not 100% but wont go to the doctors i know its just stress and i will be ok dont need pills lol 

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Poppysmum wrote:

After the last year i had with my dear mum who passed in november i wouldnt trust the NHS up here nor the doctor ,

The NHS is still a sore subject and i am not 100% but wont go to the doctors i know its just stress and i will be ok dont need pills lol 

Hope you are feeling better very soon @Poppysmum Hug

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Sorry to hear your stressed @Poppysmum. Here's hoping you feel better soon heart

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The NHS up here have been brilliant for me, not just in the last two years, as far back as I can remember. I would never use self diagnosis, that's far too dangerous in my opinion.

Message 9 of 14

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Poppysmum wrote:

Hope you are feeling better very soon @Poppysmum Hug

Thank you slight_smile 

Never known a doctor like mine i am supposed to be changing have been since december but not done yet lol 

Message 10 of 14