cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined O2 contract on business policy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am looking for other people's opinion on this.

I have recently recommended O2 to my sister as she no longer has a work mobile and I have been with O2 for over 10 years with no major issue's. However, she has been declined due to 'business policy', with no further details being disclosed.

O2 have confirmed that this is not due to her credit history, but their business policy and they are unable to confirm any further information.

She was applying for the Samsung Galaxy S4 £37 monthly unlimited calls and texts & 1GB internet with a £20 international call bolt on.

Has anyone come across this before?

Regards,

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's almost impossible to know why anyone has been refused a credit account, although not being on the Electoral Roll will cause a failure.

She could phone O2 and ask for the Credit Referrals Department, but they are not obliged to discuss this.

Applying for a sim only 30 day contract might help to build up her credit rating to a point where she might be accepted in a few months time.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's almost impossible to know why anyone has been refused a credit account, although not being on the Electoral Roll will cause a failure.

She could phone O2 and ask for the Credit Referrals Department, but they are not obliged to discuss this.

Applying for a sim only 30 day contract might help to build up her credit rating to a point where she might be accepted in a few months time.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Possibly joining experian on the trial they give will highlight any mark in her credit file or instead she can send a cheque for the report.

http://www.experian.co.uk/

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback, it wasn't failed credit scoring, but failed on o2's business policy. I hadn't heard of this before, so was wondering if anyone else knew anything more about o2's business policy. 

Message 4 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, it wasn't failed credit scoring, but failed on o2's business policy.

I think you'll find it boils down to the same thing.

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I Know this is digging up an old thread, but it come up during a Google search after looking myself, after getting the same declined message. I didn't see any helpful response on any related threads and wanted to offer advice for someone else who mysteriously comes across this decline reason.

In case anyone else sees the same, it is not about your credit score in any way. For obvious reasons o2 won't discuss the specifics as its all internal for their own protection, but generally the things they check for are:

-Do you have too many active lines on one account?

-Have you opened more than X lines/accounts with o2 in less than X Months?

-Have there been lots of orders made and returned/cancelled?

-Have you had your account closed down for fraud, or other misuse that goes against your agreement?

-Is there another order currently pending?

-Have you just upgraded another line on the account in the last X days?

These are not o2 specific things, but things that I know about with other similar companies. I can make a good educated guess and say that my reason for refusal ties in with the second point above. I had 2 lines open, applied for a third, declined for business policies. After having the account 6 months it let me open another. Tried for a fourth, declined for business policies. After having the account for 9 months it let me get the fourth too. 

Message 6 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144739 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
As a customer forum we could never answer the question regarding O2's policies.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

O2 will always take into consideration your ability to pay x number of accounts. Not just O2 but any company will use credit reference agencies whether it is business accounts or consumer accounts. 

Message 8 of 16

Truxntrax
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Anyone followed up with a subject access request?

Message 9 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10245 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3016 Solutions

@Truxntrax 

1. Why post to a 10 year old thread, than create a new one. 

2. O2 will just provide information that they hold on you, they will not release business confidential information on why they do want you as a customer, but that is there prerogative, if a private company doesnt want you as a customer there is naff all you can do. 

Move on and have a look at another network, or for o2 coverage the likes of Tesco Mobile or Sky Mobile. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 10 of 16