Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA BREACH

Luca0000
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I can't find the right way to contact you because customer service minimizes the situation reassuring me that everything is alright.

In a nutshell, talking to one of your agents I understood that, whilst you were migrating data from Virgin Media to O2 (I didn't understand if it's still ongoing or not ), you had a DATA BREACH.

I never received a communication informing me of the situation as would need to happen in this case in order to comply with the GDPR laws.

Did you ever send out a communication informing them about the data breach and the fact that their credentials got leaked? if so, when?

Yesterday I received a scam call from this number +441615261866 (which is true I could have noticed even if it caught me by surprise and they already had access to a lot of details from the beginning through my o2 profile page, I assume).

Luckily nothing has been taken but I still would like to file an official complaint, and, if you can please tell me how can I escalate this as quickly as possible because if the article below is correct, on top of the data breach, you also haven't informed customers promptly

Also, if any actions as been taken to fix it, I would like to receive a link where can I find a detailed description.

I'll keep posting it until I get an official and exhaustive reply

https://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/life/technology/cyber-criminals-are-selling-stolen-o2-customer-....

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Luca0000 

You need to contact the ICO and log a complaint there

All details on who to contact at o2 can be found here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/protecting-your-data 

Make sure when contacting o2 or the ICO, you have evidence and not just the random article from a non UK newspaper... 

This also is a customer to customer forum... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Luca0000 

This isn't O2 so posting continuously won't get you an answer, sorry.

You need to persist with customer service and ask for escalation or make an official complaint https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23102 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@Luca0000 Were you an O2 customer in 2013? Because according to the link you posted, and it wasn't O2 that was hacked, but it was "the contents believed to be from the hacking of gaming website XSplit in 2013."

From what I can see doing a search, Virgin had a data breach in 2020, before any merger with O2, but there's nothing more recent than that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

As others have said, the data breach is not from o2 and was from 2013 @Luca0000 .

What is MORE likely is that your contact preferences are open, which means o2's trusted partners can contact you (or provide others with your details).

Interestingly mine have all defaulted back to on - wonder if that was part of the 360 migration @MI5 @Cleoriff @Enlli ?

To check, log into your account.

Click the down arrow next to "My o2".

Directly below this, at the bottom, is "contact preferences".

It will then ask for a phone number or email to send a one time code so it know you are you. Enter your chosen details and hit continue.

Once you get the code, enter and continue again.

Then you can choose what o2 can contact you about, and how.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@gmarkj All mine are off on checking.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@gmarkj 

If you recall, this also happened some time ago and was investigated by the then forum manager.

It happened to quite a number of us and the response from O2 was that we all must have changed them ourselves poop

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 8 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I do. Maybe something to keep an eye on as well (although it might just be I'm an idiot and were like that anyway...)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

I think that's what they want us to think wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11