cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer services say they can't transfer former Virgin numbers to new O2 phone contracts

ExVirginUser
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone offer a workaround?

I bought a new pay monthly phone for my wife on O2 via Mobile Phone Direct. She already had an O2 SIM only contract which had started as a Virgin Mobile account, so I thought it would be a simple matter to transfer that number to the new phone.

I rang customer service to see why the old number hadn't transferred to the SIM that came with the new phone several days after I set it up. I was told that they are not currently able to move these former Virgin numbers to new O2 contracts and they have no date confirmed for this problem to be fixed.

That means if my wife wants to keep her old number, I'm going to have to continue paying for both phone contracts! I can't even "leave" the old O2 account by requesting a PAC code, apparently. 

Surely there has to be some workaround other than either losing the old phone number or continuing to pay two bills.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10200 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@ExVirginUser 

It maybe a case of HUCA (hang up call again), the only caveat is that if the current o2 number is still in minimum term with o2 (Or was VM), then that needs to be paid off first, and in full. 

The follow the details in this guide Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 35

ExVirginUser
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. Maybe calling again might help. The old number is out of contract.

I'm just about within the cooling-off period to return the new handset, but it seems ridiculous to return a perfectly good phone because O2 can't get its act together.

One workaround that's been suggested to me is:
1) Get the cheapest possible SIM-only deal with a different provider and get a PAC code to transfer the old number O2 to that.

2) Then leave the SIM-only provider and get a PAC code to transfer the number to the new O2 phone.

A bit convoluted but it should work. The alternative may be to keep both numbers running in the new phone (dual-SIM) and badger O2 for a refund to avoid me being out of pocket.

Message 3 of 35

ST8
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm in the same situation. I had a VM contract, got transferred to o2, now out of contract.

Tried to upgrade direct with o2 but they were expensive compared to others. Ended up going to mobile phones direct and got a monthly contract and new phone but still with o2.

Tried to use PAC code and have been told the same. Service has been appalling, no one is offering a solution despite it being an ofcom requirement.

Also had the insult of o2 pretending to honour a callback by giving me 3 hang up call backs, each of which I answered.

Message 4 of 35

ST8
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Be interested to know how you got on?

Message 5 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144478 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27684 Solutions

@ST8 

You can't use the PAC process for O2 to O2.

You need a number migration Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 35

ST8
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5 but I can't see anything in the guide specific to o2 to o2 migration?

Is it in the main body or in one of the comments?

Message 7 of 35

MI5
  • 144478 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27684 Solutions

@ST8 

MI5_0-1700605357090.png

If moving from one Pay Monthly account to another 

If the two accounts are in different names both account holders can, if possible, call into customer services together on 202 to arrange this. If both account holders are unable to call together the account holder of the existing account will need to ring first, complete security and add a secondary password to the account. This secondary password will be valid for 7 days. The new account holder will then need to call and confirm the standard security plus the secondary password, plus security on their new account. Once this is complete the number will be migrated over to the new account within 24hrs, any requests on a Friday won’t be actioned until the next working day. If the new account holder calls after 7 days of the secondary password being added the existing account holder will need to call back to add another. If you’re on a Refresh contract the Device Plan on the existing account will need to be paid off first.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 35

Janx1975
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Identical situation and place of purchase to ST8 (above).

Wife & I both have O2 phones that were fully migrated from virgin mobile in June. Wife drops her old samsung phone and cracks the camers - excuse to buy a new phone right? Black Friday deal from mobilephones direct was far cheaper than the O2 "upgrade" from O2.

Complete the form and get PAC details.

The day after we inserted the new SIM (new phone number, new phone) the Wifes old number (one she wants to keep) stops working on the old phone - great we think it is switching. It doesnt - almost a week later and calls to O2 galore where they say "just wait 2 more days".

My old number is working still (both signed up the same way), so I phone customer services who say "we cannot transfer your O2 number to another O2 account (in my name) because it was a virgin mobile number" - the lady even spoke to "2 managers, not just one!" apparently...

No other solution, no other option or avenue of support other than to buy a PAYG SIM from another provider and transfer to them, then transfer back to O2... dreadful dreadful dreadful.

I then hang up and get an email 1 hour later showing my new SIM tariff and breakdown BUT with the number I wanted to keep - this was 2 days ago and the number hasnt been ported. Confused to hell and O2 dont have a clue.

So, to back up ST8, HOW do you transfer your number from an existing O2 account to a new pay monthly O2 account in the same name and close the old account?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 35

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

This is all supposed to be so easy and was, to be fair, until the 'seamless' migration of Virginmedia customers

Their solution to the problem is unreasonable and frankly stupid

Message 10 of 35