Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Checks

Jennymac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, wondering if this is a common issue. I tried to upgrade my mobile earlier but was declined via O2 app at the checkout. Assumed it was an error and phoned them and it happened again. I have good credit with both Experian and Clear Score with no recent hard searches, own home, on electoral roll etc etc. The customer service advisor suggested I wait 3 months and try again! Don’t want to try again with a different company as I’m assuming this will be a hard search which will take a while to drop off? Has anyone had any luck when emailing credit referrals in terms of getting an answer as to why its been declined? Never had this issue before when getting an upgrade. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10181 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Jennymac 

Best option is to call into an o2 store or call the sales team on 0808 002 0202 and no one will tell you why you have failed the credit check or the affordability checks.. 

The hard search drops off after 12months..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Jennymac 

Give it 30 days and go elsewhere.

You've no chance with O2 now.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

Jennymac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

how annoying! I’ve been with them for years. But my current phone is 4 years old and dying a slow death so definitely need a new one, not waiting 3 months!

Message 4 of 18

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Just walk. Loyalty is not a coinage that is accepted 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 18

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5688 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Jennymac 

You won't get an explanation as to why you were declined ; the view is that giving reasons might encourage folks to try to circumvent the tests and could even facilitate fraud.  

Message 6 of 18

Oxonian
  • 5688 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Jennymac wrote:

how annoying! I’ve been with them for years. But my current phone is 4 years old and dying a slow death so definitely need a new one, not waiting 3 months!

@Jennymac 

You can buy direct from manufacturers, such as Samsung, and pay by installments. 

Similarly, you can apply for credit if purchasing from a store such as Argos.  

Bear in mind that you might be able to trade in your current handset for money-off, or sell it on the second-hand market to someone like Mazuma Mobile.  

Message 7 of 18

mobilemandan
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 48 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Always used to be if you paid your bills and didn't owe anything you could always upgrade. Have heard they now credit check you for upgrading and can then be declined but seems many confusing mixed messages

Message 8 of 18

Oxonian
  • 5688 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@mobilemandan 

O2 appear to do a credit check if someone wants to upgrade. Whether this is in some cases or in all cases we do not really know.

However, the "confusing mixed messages" are from customers. I am not sure that O2 have made any statement on this at all. Furthermore, this tends to be the way that businesses operate, as any statement about credit checking will invariably encourage folks to try to circumvent the tests built into the credit check and could even facilitate fraud.  

Message 9 of 18

mobilemandan
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 48 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Anyone else on 360 been declined for an upgrade? I know I asked a few times in the past just interested if people are now getting declined upgrades or if the credit check mentioned happens is a soft one that just checked your o2 payment history etc….

Message 10 of 18