Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract renewed%20without%20confirmation

TheLemon6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m fuming that my contract for my iPad has been renewed without any confirmation from myself or O2 and I think it is ridiculous that I’ve been unknowingly paying for a device I don’t use
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@TheLemon6 unless you cancel, your contract will continue on a rolling monthly basis.

You can cancel now by giving notice on the contract https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Contracts don't get renewed.
They are continuous with minimum terms - meaning unless you cancel them they carry on regardless.
You're best off getting in touch with customer services - see the following link: Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10668 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @TheLemon6 

Very sorry to hear you are so upset.  I have had contracts with other providers and they have said to me that they do roll it on 30 day periods so that I was not "cut off" and left without communication and they were  awaiting my decisions, I thought this was good for me really as sometimes I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do for a couple of months or so, then I would sort it out.  

I do hope you can sort this out and the outcome is a good one for you.  Best wishes TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 14

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It isn't ridiculous. It's like any other contract. It continues once the minimum term is completed until you cancel it. The same goes with gas, electric, insurance etc.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

3. How long this Agreement lasts

1. 3.1 This Agreement starts when we accept your application (the day you receive your SIM Card) or, if you don't receive your SIM Card when you sign up (for instance if you buy online), on the day your SIM Card is dispatched.
  2. 3.2 At the end of any Minimum Period this Agreement will continue until it's ended by you or us in line with paragraph 8.2 below. This Agreement may end before the end of any Minimum Period if you or we end it in line with paragraphs 5 or 8 or under any Related Agreement.
Message 5 of 14

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well said @jonsie. The trouble is most people don't read the Terms and Conditions when they sign a contract, whether for a new phone, tablet or gas, electric, etc. Then are amazed when that contract continues after the minimum term without any further communication from them or the contract provider. 

Any contract whatever for, whoever with will only end when a request/decision to end is made either by the person named in the contract (their request) or by the company providing the contract (their decision).

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would have been explained to you when you signed the contract. Always make sure you understand the terms before you sign any contract 

Message 7 of 14

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

One other point. No one, with all the scams there are about, should be unknowingly paying for something they know nothing about. Most of the major banks have apps that can be dowloaded on your phone. And regular checks should be made in order to spot any unusual debits you don't recognise. The sooner recognised the sooner further money being taken, if it's a scam, can be stopped. I know exactly what money has been debited to my account, as well as what's been credited by checking my statement, on my phone, daily. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It isn't ridiculous. It's like any other contract. It continues once the minimum term is completed until you cancel it. The same goes with gas, electric, insurance etc.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

3. How long this Agreement lasts

1. 3.1 This Agreement starts when we accept your application (the day you receive your SIM Card) or, if you don't receive your SIM Card when you sign up (for instance if you buy online), on the day your SIM Card is dispatched.
  2. 3.2 At the end of any Minimum Period this Agreement will continue until it's ended by you or us in line with paragraph 8.2 below. This Agreement may end before the end of any Minimum Period if you or we end it in line with paragraphs 5 or 8 or under any Related Agreement.

Or unless the company concerned writes to you to say a 1 year fixed term contract is ending (as with gas /electric if you are on a FTC)

It's different with a phone or device and is in the terms and conditions. Quite right. People would be moaning again IF they had been cut off and left without means to contact people.

I am surprised you haven't noticed this before now @TheLemon6 

I check my online bank every couple of days. Having been the victim of fraud twice, I now keep a much closer eye on what is taken out of my account.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like MI5 check my accounts regularly & particularly the myo2 app & others every day. That may seem ocd & over cautionary to you but it is an excellent way to check. If you can’t understand or commit to the terms of any contract then maybe pay as you go or buying the device outright would be a better solution for you
Message 10 of 14