Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering my options after a stolen device

dreas
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi my S21 Ultra was stolen and not insured for loss/theft.

I'm currently using my slightly damaged S9 which is fine except for photography. Using my older S9 is not ideal because I upgraded so I can use multiple lenses/cameras for photography and videography.

I initially reported my phone stolen with O2 and the police, but then asked O2 to unblock the device so I could track it's location. Using offline tracking provided by Samsung the phone appeared in Romania shortly after it was stolen.

My options now with the existing refresh contract seem to be:

- Upgrade and pay the remainder of the contract for the device which is over £700 in order to buy a new device from O2 with a single line.

- Take up a second line with O2 and pay off both the stolen and new devices and contracts simultaneously

- Take up a contract for a new device with a different provider, request a PAC code and disconnect my o2 account leaving me with a debt of over £700 and then see if the payment management team will set up a payment plan for that debt.

- Keep using my S9 and not be able to enjoy my passion of mobile photography and videography as much due to the single camera not performing very well when a telephoto lens is more suited (as digital zoom is not really the way I want to go with my photography)

- Buy a replacement device outright (or on finance) that has adequate photography and video capabilities and use my existing O2 contract and SIM with a new device.

All of these options are somewhat disheartening as I'm trying to reduce my spending, but still enjoy the features that newer phones bring.

I will make sure I'm insured against theft in future that's for sure!

I don't necessarily need to do photography and video and the damage to the S9 is workable (I just can't use the volume buttons as they are damaged) but I'd have to wait a long time (until Dec 2024) for my current contract (device plan) to be fully paid off.

I've spoken to customer services, sales and payment management now for many hours to see if there's anything they can do to soften the blow, and the answer was no, hence the current options available to me.

I'm more than happy to consider a more affordable handset such as a Google Pixel, Xiaomi Redmi Note, OnePlus Nord, Realme, and other Samsung Galaxy models. Basically anything with good rear cameras that isn't made by Apple and isn't a knock-off product (ie. it's from a reputable manufacturer).

Is there anything I've missed, or perhaps any suggestions that you can bring? What would you do in this situation or what have others done when in the same boat as me? Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

dreas
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thinking about it, my intention was to discuss options for a new phone, suffice to say I don't actually need one right now. My slightly damaged s9 still works well enough, so for now I'm going to stick with that.

I suppose the main thing is I can do what I need to do happily and safely and have learnt a lot in the process.

Message 11 of 11