Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold calling from O2 - supposedly

jamiemac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As it is not clear how to register a complaint with O2, I thought I would try here.  Does anyone know why I keep getting cold calls from someone with an Asian accent, claiming to be representing O2. I have asked O2 not to allow this. I ask the caller to take me off their phone list. But still they keep coming. Any ideas

Jamie

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36532 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1624 Solutions

Check your marketing settings or contact preferences in your MyO2 for a start, @jamiemac 

1000018812.png

1000018811.png

And then check who the call originates from, it could be spam calls and not genuinely O2 at all:

Guide: A Guide to Deal with Spam/Scam Calls and Text 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 10

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

O2 don't cold call. 

Plenty of scammers do, claiming to be from O2.

Block and report the numbers to 7726

Also, don't engage with them

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 10

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6426 Posts
  • 114 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@jamiemac wrote:

As it is not clear how to register a complaint with O2,

@jamiemac 

It would be a futile exercise lodging a formal complaint in these circumstances, but for the record :- 

Contact Us | Help, Support and Useful Numbers | O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Oxonian_0-1715197300152.png

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23220 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@jamiemac Whoever is calling you saying they're from O2 are not from O2. They are scammers, so asking O2 not to allow this is a waste of time. O2 cannot stop these calls. They happen on all the networks. Follow the guide provided above by @pgn to block the caller. The numbers will constantly change because that's what the scammers do. If you speak to them when they call they'll just keep calling. If you don't recognise the number, don't answer the call. If it's someone you know or the call is important they will leave a voicemail. If they don't, just block the number as per the guide above.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

jamiemac
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - I had thought that was the case. However, I was wondering what do they have to gain by me taking out a new contract with O2 - or do I end up with a fake contract, having provided payment details?

Message 6 of 10

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6807 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

They will change things on your account so they get a new high end phone sent to them whilst you pick up the bill

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 10

jamiemac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for this, pgn.  It was really hard to find the relevant "Manage your preferences" page on O2 - it didnt look anything like your screen shot above.  Needed another code.   But I have now done it. It makes me think they dont want you to find it. I have asked them by phone to stop, but it's possible that wasnt enough.  I think it should default to "no cold calls", unless you specify that you are happy to receive them.

Message 8 of 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36532 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1624 Solutions

It used to be tricky in the Legacy MyO2 as well, and on more than one occasion, usually after a system update somewhere, the flags would all revert to "enabled" - it pays to keep an eye on those settings periodically, now you know where they are, @jamiemac - the Web version of MyO2 screenshots below (for someone now on 360 and not on the Legacy system still!):

pgn_0-1715252232909.png

pgn_1-1715252322900.png

Message 9 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23220 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@jamiemac wrote:

Thanks for this, pgn.  It was really hard to find the relevant "Manage your preferences" page on O2 - it didnt look anything like your screen shot above.  Needed another code.   But I have now done it. It makes me think they dont want you to find it. I have asked them by phone to stop, but it's possible that wasnt enough.  I think it should default to "no cold calls", unless you specify that you are happy to receive them.

I don't think you really understand what's going on, @jamiemac. Changing your preferences with O2 won't stop the calls. The scammers don't care about you changing your preferences. If they have your number, or you gave them information when they called you they will keep calling using different numbers. The only thing you can do is report the numbers to 7726 and then block them. You need to read the statement below if you've spoken to them and given them any information at all:

If you think you’ve been the victim of fraud – whether it’s because you’ve given details to someone over the phone, or clicked on a link in a suspicious text or email there are things you can do:
Contact your bank if you think you may have given out financial information. They can help protect your account and stop transactions.
Change your account and online account passwords. Not just your O2 account. All of them.
Forward fraudulent texts to O2 for free on 7726.
Contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Call your Virgin Media or O2 customer services number if you think somebody’s taken out a contract using your details.
Virgin Media customers can phone 150 from their landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.
O2 customers can call 202 from their O2 phone or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

You can block the number that called you, or any number you think may be suspicious.

How to block a number:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

There are also these links to look at:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/unwanted-calls-and-messages
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 10