Did you mean: 

Can I sell my mobile number?

Ajh76
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello O2 hive… 

strange question but genuinely interested to know if I can sell my mobile number? Been offered a decent amount for it as it’s very memorable. Is this possible and how would I go about it?? 

thanks ☺️ 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36030 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Google is your friend in this instance, @Ajh76 - good luck!

Message 2 of 6

Ajh76
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have tried google… only gives American answers and the UK ones aren’t helpful at all which is why I came here 😏 

Message 3 of 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36030 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

From Google just now, these guys probably need a steady supply of numbers, not that I have ever thought about it, @Ajh76 

https://britishnumbers.com/faq

And: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/265691/selling-a-mobile-number

And: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/Want-to-sell-my-PAYG-SIM/m-p/1289200/highlight/true#M142...

Caveat Venditor. The opposite of caveat emptor is caveat venditor, or “let the seller beware.”

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144485 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@Ajh76 

Get your PAC and sell that which gives the buyer the ability to port in your number to another network.

Be aware though that this will cancel your O2 contract and you will be charged up to the end of your contract period.

You cannot have another number allocated to your contract to replace it.

Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5792 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Caveat Venditor. The opposite of caveat emptor is caveat venditor, or “let the seller beware.”

I must admit @Ajh76 that my immediate thoughts are not about the technical side of what you are proposing, but are around the security side of it. If you have a mobile 'phone number that is yours and you are identified by it, is that going to facilitate identity fraud or legal issues if it falls into the wrong hands ? 

If it is used in a breach of the law, say in a robbery, are you going to find the police knocking on your front door ?

If the number is known to your bank, is that going to facilitate someone impersonating you ? 

I am not suggesting that you should not sell, but that you need to work through these ramifications beforehand ! 👍 

Message 6 of 6