Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables and adapters

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

It seems as though almost all of the new (Android) phones now have the new USB Type C connection instead of the old style micro USB (type C appears more round, while micro USB is more square).

As micro was the old standard, I have several of these leads in varying length, but most are about 30cm/1ft in length.

I am looking at getting a few longer leads (3-3.3 ft / 0.9-1m) to give a little more flexibility and reach from the charging point.

My question is thus: Would I be better buying leads that are USB Type C and getting an adapter for that, or would I be better buying micro USB leads with Type C adapters?

I have done the normal google search and come up with a few articles, but most are 1.5-2 years old and probably out of date.

Given that I will (probably) update my phone in Feb/March I think it would be better to get a Type C lead and an adapter but was wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations in this area.

Many thanks for your time and opinions!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’ve done the same as in buy usb c and have a few adapters for devices requiring a micro usb.
They’re dirt cheap on Amazon.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Do you need to look out for anything in particular? Any one that you would recommend?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 3 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've bought good quality cables and adaptors from a seller called Rephoenix. Good CS too as I had one get damaged and they sent me 3 new ones slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 22

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Cheers for the (as usual) good advice!

Message 5 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for the interesting post @gmarkj and responses @MI5

Every day is a school day on here wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 22

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I am fully aware that others have better understanding of and experience with newer/different technology so thought I would ask the question.
No point buying a cable this week and needing another different one in a couple of months!

Message 7 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I am fully aware that others have better understanding of and experience with newer/different technology so thought I would ask the question.
No point buying a cable this week and needing another different one in a couple of months!

Totally agree, which is why I thanked you for posting. Family members have much newer phones than me and I wouldn't know what to answer if this question arose. Due to me posting on a mobile phone forum I get asked all sorts of questions (which confuse the heck out of me.) Smiley Embarassed.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 22

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Surely you have (figuratively) sucked the brains from several forum members by now though?
While I am (relatively) knowledgable about technology, if there are others that know more I will always ask the question. Especially when it comes to mobiles as everything is moving so quickly!

Message 9 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Of course I always ask. Privately or openly and have always been given excellent advice.

I wasn't highlighting my 'technophobia'....I was simply thanking you for posting a question which has helped me and others. .

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 22