Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of 5G?

Willc1000
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue? When my iPhone connects to 5G it doesn’t offer any greater speeds than 4G. Usually it is slower.  I am just wondering when the masts are upgraded if they are just coded to say there is 5G without any upgrades to the backhaul? It seems strange that the speeds are near identical or worse. Having come from Vodafone which has speeds of about 700 down and 300 up on the local mast it seems quite shocking to have an upload of 1 or 2 on 5G with O2.  

I was at Kenwood House the other day and my phone was displaying E, I didn’t even think that existed anymore. Although it did remind me of my first iPhone, back when O2 promised their customers the best products and a great experience. It’s strange how at that location they clearly gave up on that promise as it’s still using the same technology as it was in 2007. When I swapped over to my Vodafone esim it had 4G.  

It’s funny because I left O2 ten years ago because everyday I walked to work and the exact same spot everything stopped working (despite a mast apparently being on the same corner), I happened to be driving my car the other day and stopped at the traffic lights there.  CarPlay said 5G at full signal, but nothing would work.  It’s ridiculous how in 10 years nothing has really been done at all has it?  
I also went for dinner in King’s Cross and found my phone to be completely unusable even though when you check the map there is a mast across the road from where I was. Even when outside I couldn’t go online, despite 5G showing. 

It seems as though when the phone is negotiating a 5G signal the masts just says yes. Despite there being no additional capacity there. Anyone could trick a phone into displaying 5G signal, but without any backhaul upgrades what is the point? The network clearly has capacity issues even in areas that are not densely populated.  Within 500m of my house there are 11 O2 masts, yet as soon as you walk down to the shops quite frequently data will just stop working even though you have great coverage.  You would think with Virgin’s fibre network now being able to be used for, probably, next to nothing it would be quite easy to upgrade sites. Vodafone seems to have managed it and they have to purchase their backhaul  from VMO2 and Openreach. Then it was also 37 a month sim free for the same thing I am paying 12 pounds for on O2.  Considering the capacity issues I don’t know why Virgin Media is trying to recruit extra customers when it can’t deal with the ones it has already, that is how I ended up back on O2.  I assumed it would have improved, but it’s like the corner that made me leave in the first place, the technology claims to have improved. That mast is showing whatever the latest thing is, 3G, 4G, now 5G.  Yet it still has no usable data service, it is just quite insane really. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Pretty standard for everywhere with a population of more than 2 people and a sheep these days on O2.

5g and 4g is useless and find myself on 3g mostly as it's less used.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10182 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Willc1000 

It will all depend on a lot of factors, such as which mast your phone connects to, what is in the way physically such as shops, office buildings and also which band your phone is connecting to... and the algorithm your phone is using and if it detect a whiff of 5G, it will connect.. even though its on the edge of usable connectivity.

o2 and all Mobile Networks don't just rely on a single backhaul provider, they rely on a few such as C&W, BT and Virgin Media Business, and the Dark Fibre network isnt as extensive as the Fibre used for Consumers, and to put it into some locations, require digging up the road and adding street furniture, which a lot of councils dont like and NIMBY's don't want to happen. 

Vodafone also have there own Fibre Network called RedStream..

Vodafone / EE and Three are all in the same position in different areas, where they just cant get permission to put any new infrastructure in, for example EE have been trying for over 2 years to get a new mast into Malton in North Yorkshire, and looks like it will be the end of Q3 2023 before it gets turned on... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 3