Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atari VCS

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Low-powered CPU and classic gaming in the modern age. I think people shouldn't be so quick to criticise. 

I mean nobody ever complained about the simplicity of Nintendo, so why this?

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I take it you mean the forthcoming remake console? Bit expensive when you can recreate almost all of the experience with a Raspberry Pi for some Spangles.

But gaming, its the simplicity of the games that makes it memorable - a mantra of Nintendo - rather than the un-original 1st person shooting and driving games afflicting the Xbox & Playstations platforms. Then again it may be the long delay in getting it out there thats really getting people wound up considering it never took this long for the original to be in the market. 

I'm waiting for Spectrum Next to be delivered....

Message 2 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
The new vcs will also play media like DVD and bluray. Seems a good way to relive the old console days and then some. If they can get a commercial contract and not have to raise the cash other ways then maybe they could cut costs
Message 3 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Sorry @anticpated, I'm late to the party on this one sweat_smile Just wondering, did you pre-order one of these yet, or are you planning on getting one??

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

No I saw the video on Youtube about it. Although like the Ubuntu phone, it doesn't seem to have got very far as yet.

Message 5 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

There's a video here about it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before#/

If it's not too highly priced then I think it will be a good bit of retro fun.

Message 6 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I agree! I have a SNES mini and although don't use it as much as the other consoles, it's good fun every now and then. This feels like it could be on the same level, but I'll wait for the release, pricing and reviews before making any decision on it slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Just for an edit, the VCS will not use physical media which basically means it will be running a version of Ubuntu Linux (Debian Distribution for all the geeks out there). And due to the AMD procesor and Vega chipset means it will be capable of delievering Full HD/UHD? performance via streaming. It really depends how much work Atari put into it and how closed the system is. As a console has to be so the code can't be circumvented and altered by 3rd party hacks.

Message 8 of 8