Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G network speed

MartW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just tested my 5G network speed on my new Samsung S23 Ultra phone. It's barely 3G speed! Coventry

5Mbps indoors and 20Mbps if I hold the phone out of the loft window.
My brother on EE has just screenshotted his getting over 300Mbps indoors in Sutton Coldfield, so with O2 less than 2% of the speed on EE.

If there is a 5G premium on my contract, it needs to be deducted clearly! I'll be calling customer services in the week.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6777 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

Believe you me nobody is defending O2.

You have an Engineering Degree I have 50 years in electronics and telecommunications ending up working for ITV.

Mobile Networks are very complicated  as is radio Radio Propagation. Different frequencies penetrate buildings in different ways. Technically lower frequencies are the best but not always. Low frequency towers may be more spread out as the signal travels further and 800MHz by the time it gets to a building may be weaker than a 2100MHz signal from a nearer mast.

O2's problem is lack of bandwidth at the mast and, I suspect poor backhaul from the mast into the system.

I certainly don't defend O2. I have an O2 SIM for other than personal reasons. My personal SIM is EE. If I had the option to join O2 at a personal level, I wouldn't.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 11 of 18

Mart_W
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wasn't pointing my finger at you Enlli.

I certainly consider it a mistake taking out a new contract with O2 and regret it.

Message 12 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10275 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

Just because you have a degree in engineering doesn't mean you know anything but how to recite what you read in books... and Engineering isn't Physics.. and like Sheldon Cooper says it's not a real degree. 😂

All networks are building out there 5G networks, and to be honest I can have one router, one switch and one device and I have a network, as long as they use TCP/IP I have a LAN..

I not throwing any credibility away, thanks, I have deployed over a 1000 5G phones and sims on o2 and 95% of them connect perfectly to 5G, and most get faster speeds than 4G the other 5% are in places where even a Multi Network Sim cards struggle across all 4 UK Networks struggle with even 4G or 3G...  But then again what do I know... 

BT (EE)are struggling in some areas of the country, as i said all 4 Networks are, and locations are all different.. 

So good luck on BT (EE) ... and  bye 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 13 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I've been with O2 since I worked for them 20 years ago but my everyday use sim is with EE.

That's my main number and the number that family, hospitals and doctors use to contact me

That's because there are so many deadspots on O2 and I simply can't rely on O2

I've never even seen 5G on O2 in my area so I definitely wouldn't recommend them to anyone I know and like, that's for sure

From being the number 1 network not many years ago they are now a very sad 4th from my experience

EE is definitely the go to network in the North West

Message 14 of 18

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10275 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@jonsie 

Where I am we don't have 5G on any network, and BT cant even provide Fibre internet, its 30mbps max, so we went with Gigabit from VM...  

O2 is the best where I am, and where I work, EE is 2nd followed by Three and then last is Vodafone, but all areas are different and I have o2 sims and an EE sim card, for testing..  

If I go to family in Bakewell, its EE, three, o2 then Voda,  same on the East Coast it bounces who is best and who is worst.

I think a lot more investment is needed not just from  o2 but all the networks

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 15 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As far as I'm concerned 5G on O2 seems to be a bit of an urban myth

I'm on the fringes of 5G with EE who have excellent 5G in Blackburn, Preston and Liverpool

I'm stuck in a very small village in the ass end of the area slap dab in the middle of them

That said, I'm getting 160Mbs on 4G+ with EE barely scraping 8Mbs on a good day with a following wind on O2

Message 16 of 18

Mart_W
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Don't think I'll be listening to a sales boy thanks, you keep conning your customers into buying 5G phones on a 3G network. Back in your box.

Message 17 of 18

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6777 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

@Mart_W  No sales on here, just customers. Even the forum mods cannot handle sales

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 18 of 18