cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi - problem with phone or with my broadband provider?

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI can anyone help?

I have an iphone 6plus and more often than not it won't connect to my home wifi. this means I am often on 4g and consequently have used my data for this month despite never watching anything on my phone so not sure how I've used it all.. but anyway..

I have tried everything - resetting constantly, turning off all other devices in the house. It happened with my last phone too. Should I contact my broadband provider or is it my contract/fact i'm out of data/ or any suggestions!? Its driving me mad I can't get to my emails etc at home via my phone as it won't update.

many thanks in advance

S

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Wifi is nothing to do with your account.
If your phone will connect ok to other WiFi networks you must suspect your home router.
Some old routers don't work very well with the newest phones and we had a recent thread where an older netgear router was causing the same problems.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Wifi is nothing to do with your account.
If your phone will connect ok to other WiFi networks you must suspect your home router.
Some old routers don't work very well with the newest phones and we had a recent thread where an older netgear router was causing the same problems.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks so much for replying - I was thinking it must be the router. I will contact sky.

huge thanks again

Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous does any other phone or device work with your broadband? If others have problems then it's your broadband connection. It's a process of elimination really. Also does your phone work on any other WiFi connection outside of your house?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks so much for replying - I was thinking it must be the router. I will contact sky.

huge thanks again

Let us know what they say please. 

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - yes all the other devices work fine. Am I going to the back of the queue maybe and theres no wifi left for me.  Think it connects to wifi out of the house ok.

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just a compatability issue.
Sky tech team will help you change some settings first but if that fails you'll need a router with newer firmware.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

apparently i have the most up to date router...

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What else did the Sky team say? Did they go through the settings with you?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They need to do more than just say that I'm afraid.
You need to get referred to tech support to go through your settings.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11