cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking iPhone from giffgaff/O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

My son gave me his old iphone4 at christmas, the contract on it with O2 ended in 2012, his wife has been using it on Giffgaff and I need to get it unlocked to use on my 3 account, I requestd an unlock on the 28th December and was promised it would be done within 72 hours, I have been on live chat for over 5 hours during the last 5 days, being passed from one department to another and being asked the same questions over and over again. could someone please tell me how to get the phone unlocked, I have sent a complaint by email to O2 but it will take 7 days for them to respond, any help from this forum would be appreciated,  as my old sim will deactivate shortly and my new microsim will not fit in my old phone. thanks

Malc

Message 1 of 75
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You will need to use the iPhone on the O2 network via a payg O2 SIM card to latch it's imei number to the account.

Have you paid the £15 charge via a 02 payg card ?

If not.....

I'd suggest getting a O2 payg SIM card , top up with £20 and make some calls leaving £15 on it and then fill out the unlock form.

Do not use live chat.

Http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Unlock form -> https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%...

Once you get the confirmation e mail from O2 place a non o2 uk SIM card in it such as the 3 SIM card and hook upto iTunes to complete the unlock.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 75
74 REPLIES 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You will need to use the iPhone on the O2 network via a payg O2 SIM card to latch it's imei number to the account.

Have you paid the £15 charge via a 02 payg card ?

If not.....

I'd suggest getting a O2 payg SIM card , top up with £20 and make some calls leaving £15 on it and then fill out the unlock form.

Do not use live chat.

Http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Unlock form -> https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%...

Once you get the confirmation e mail from O2 place a non o2 uk SIM card in it such as the 3 SIM card and hook upto iTunes to complete the unlock.
Message 2 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding your SIM card size.

The 3 shop will be able to supply the Micro Sim sized SIM card you require and any support you need regarding tariffs etc.
Message 3 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I have a new 3 micro sim card,

I have been told that if I put a new  O2 sim into the phone they will not unlock it until it has been used for a year

Message 4 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
The 12 month applies to other makes of Phones.

The iPhone is the exception where they will unlock it straight away (not the iPhone 6 models yet)
Message 5 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thanks I will go to a local O2 shop today and try that

Message 6 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're Welcome

The O2 shops will provide the payg SIM card for you and you'll be asked to top it up instore before you leave.

They won't be able to unlock the phone for you instore.
Message 7 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Did you not mentioned that the phone was an O2 contract before? If that is the case your son needs to do the request under is mobile number/account. There will be no charge and no 12 months rule. Have you tried  to use the other network sim to make sure the phone is not unlocked already? Also have you checked the email address that you provided to make the unlatching code request?

Hope this helps slight_smile

Message 8 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable
I interpreted "My son gave me his old iphone4 at christmas, the contract on it with O2 ended in 2012" as the contract had ended , but submit it could mean they upgraded 😳

Lots of good advice and tips that I'm sure will bring this to a conclusion for the Op. 😄
Message 9 of 75

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you take out a contract and you upgrade or canceled the account you can always ask for your old phone to be unlocked foc.It's part of the perks of having an O2 contract P  slight_smile

Message 10 of 75