cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam pop ups

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I've started getting pop ups appearing saying I've won an iphone6 or an ipad.  They usually appear if I'm clicking from a Google search or clicking a link in an email on my phone.  You can only get rid of them by clicking ok and sometimes they automatically take you to a text message which I suspect would cost me a fortune if I inadvertently sent it.

Why is this happening please?

How can I stop them?

I already have the popup blocker activated in Safari.  Is there something else I can do please?

It's so annoying and a scam I tghink.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
You need a better ad blocker.
You may wish to check your bill now, when you clicked "ok" you may have been agreeing to a premium paid for service.
Yes, it's a scam.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
You need a better ad blocker.
You may wish to check your bill now, when you clicked "ok" you may have been agreeing to a premium paid for service.
Yes, it's a scam.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I've started getting pop ups appearing saying I've won an iphone6 or an ipad.  They usually appear if I'm clicking from a Google search or clicking a link in an email on my phone.  You can only get rid of them by clicking ok and sometimes they automatically take you to a text message which I suspect would cost me a fortune if I inadvertently sent it.

Why is this happening please?

How can I stop them?

I already have the popup blocker activated in Safari.  Is there something else I can do please?

It's so annoying and a scam I tghink.

Thanks

I agree with viridis that you may need a better ad blocker.

I use this one on my iPhone and iPad. It’s free and does well in the reviews that I’ve read.

http://1blocker.com

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Also have a look at this from the Apple Forums.Its an article on how to stop pop ups in apps on an iPhone

All of the pop-up window configurations can be accessed through the "Notifications" menu in your Settings app.

Step 1

Activate and unlock your iPhone to access the Home screen. Tap "Settings." Tap "Notifications,"

Step 2

Turn off all of the pop-up windows, sound and badge alerts on your iPhone by toggling the switch at the top of the menu to the "Off" position. Doing this disables all the alerts provided by your applications, including sounds, badges and pop-up alerts.

Step 3

Configure individual application alert settings by scrolling down the list, finding the app whose alerts you would like to configure and tapping it. This brings you to a "Settings" menu with three items, each with an "On/Off" toggle switch. Toggle the "Alerts" switch to deactivate pop-up window alerts. If you would also like to switch off the sounds and badge alerts provided by this application, turn their switches to the "Off" position

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
A friend of mine, has said this https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/adblock-plus-abp/id1028871868?mt=8
Has worked well for him on ios9 and you should give that a try.
Message 5 of 5