Did you mean: 

phone locked in nowhere land

Summer08
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

Not sure if this is the right board but i have a problem that no one has been able to solve. If you love a challenge - here it is....

I've got an iphone which i gave to my daughter for christmas 2018. Got her a pay as you go o2 card and put £10 on it to try it out. She used that straight away and we never topped it up as she just used wifi at home. She's about to go off to school so we got her a vodafone contract. We requested unlocking from o2 and received an email the next day to say it had been done and that all we needed to do was put in a non o2 SIM and connect to itunes to complete the process. (at this point the o2 SIM was thrown away).

So.. we insert the new SIM and get a message saying Activation required (dismiss), the a screen saying Update completed - your iphone was updated successfully. there are just a few more steps to follow, and then you've finished (continue). so press the 'continue' button and the get a message saying SIM not Supported. 

So we go back to o2 who put in another o2 SIM and it still says SIM not supported. So now our phone is locked out of o2, but also locked out of all other providers. I've spent the week on the phone, live chats and in the p2 shop trying to resolve and its clear they have literally no idea what is going on. I've spent numerous hours on the phone to Apple who can't do anything as they belive the phone is still locked. We are stuck somewhere in black space. 

I have tried other network SIMS, and we have done numerous complete factory resets - literally nothing work.

I would love to get this sorted, my daughter now has a phone that is unusable and its only 2 weeks before she starts school. Has anyone come across this before? Help....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Summer08 

Never come across this before but I’ll tag in @EmilieT to see if she can help you tomorrow. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Is it possible that the phone has somehow been IMEI blocked? I'm not sure what message you would actually get if this is the case? I can't think what else this could be to be honest.

Message 3 of 6

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good morning @Summer08, and thanks for sharing this mysterious issue with us! I've not come across it before either, but I'd gladly see if what I can find for you slight_smile I'll need a few more details to start looking into it first, so I'll send you a Private Message shortly!

Thanks @MI5 for the mention, and @jonsie for the suggestion thumbsup

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 6

Summer08
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for all your comments.

The phone is apparently locked to: Ireland Hutchinson/O2 locked policy

Does anyone know who that is? O2 are telling me it is not locked to them anymore - but it definitley seems locked under an O2 policy.

Where do I go next?

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Three UK which were part of Hutchinson telecom bought the Irish branch of O2.

They are now an individual company based in Ireland, so you will need to contact them for the unlock process.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6