cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multimedia messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

How can I avoid being charged on my iPhone, for sending multimedia messages, thru imessage?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
General MMS help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
General MMS help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're Welcome. 😄
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
A pleasure. Let us know if we can help anymore?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

How can I avoid being charged on my iPhone, for sending multimedia messages, thru imessage?

Thanks

If you are sending iMessages (that contain photos or other attachments that would normally be classed as a MMS message when sending a none iMessage) then you shouldnt be charged a MMS fee by O2, you would use data while sending these iMessages, but providing you are within your data allowance, then you should'nt be charged.

iMessages are sent through Apple's servers/system (and for want of a better word) bypass the MMS fee that a mobile network can charge for MMS messages. 

If you are sending a message to a none iPhone user (the name of the receipent will be green, rather than the blue it would be for an iMessage) then you can incur a charge for sending messages that have attachments (such as photos, video etc).

If you don't want to totally turn off the ability to send MMS messages, then its very easy to accidentally insert text in the 'SUBJECT' field in the messaging app. Once you insert text into the Subject field, the message then turns from a standard text message into a MMS message (this is the case even if you don't insert an attachment such as photo, video) entering text into the Subject field alone turns the message into a MMS message.

I made a video guide a while back showing how you can avoid doing this and showing how to turn off the Subject field. I must admit to entering text myself into the Subject field and incurring MMS charges, its very easily done slight_smile

The video guide is for iOS 6, but it still should be pretty much the same procedure for later versions of iOS.

Message 10 of 10