cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone SMS Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Recently I've been having an issue with SMS messaging on my iPhone 4S. The progress bar along the top will fill to about 80% full, and then stop for a good minute/minute and a half. At this point the red '!' icon appears, to indicate the message has not been sent.

Tapping the '!', and then tapping 'Try Again' does nothing, and I'm instantly presented with the red '!' icon again. It happens so quickly that it appears the iPhone didn't even attempt to send the message again.

This has been happening on and off since I got my iPhone in October, but recently the problem has been getting much worse. I've never had an issue with O2 signal before. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does anyone know a way to rectify this issue?

The image below shows a screenshot of the issue:

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

try turning 3g off and see what happens.

if that cures it it could be 3g congestion.

what resets have you done?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try completing a full restore via Itunes on the Computer. This should resolve the issue.
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi adamtemp64,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I turned off 3G and text messages seemed to be sending more consistently. It's hard to tell if this is the cause as text messages over 3G were also sending consistently at the time. 

I've restarted the iPhone numerous times and I've updated iOS to the latest version (iOS 5.1).

Thanks,

Michael

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi levineg,

Thanks for your response. I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on!

Thanks,

Michael

Message 5 of 20

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

have you tried a reset network settings ?

a full restore is usually a last resort

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't tried to reset network settings. How would I do this on an iPhone 4S?

Thanks so much for your help!

Michael

Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
To complete a network settings reset on an iPhone (or iPad/iPod touch, for that matter) tap the 'Settings' icon, then choose 'General'. After that, scroll right down to the bottom and choose 'Reset'.

Here, choose 'Reset Network Settings'. You might need to press a big red button a couple of times to confirm, or enter your password.

Resetting Network Settings can resolve this kind of issue, but do be aware of the fact that when you Reset Network Settings, you do lose your wifi networks - so make sure you add them again!
Message 8 of 20

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

settings> general> reset> in there is the option

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Exactly the same issues here, I got my 4s in January and it started happening soon after, so I logged it with O2 and was advised to do a sim swap. Did that, but recently it has been getting worse, so I went and got another sim today, but was advised if it happens again, it's not a sim/network issue, it's the phone.

Check your sim card isn't scratched (if it is get a sim swap), and wipe it gently with a dry cloth if it isn't and carefully replace it. If it still happens, you might need to speak to Apple about getting a replacement.

Luckily I live near both an O2 shop and an Apple store so I've chatted to representatives of both today about it.

Message 10 of 20