cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 Data Vampires

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iphone 6, and up until a couple of months ago I had a 20gb data allowance. I was routinely only using about 2.5gb of that though, so when it came time to get a new contract, I opted to reduce it to 4gb a month. I think the highest amount of data I'd used was 3gb in the 24 months of having the contract previously.

So this is month 2 of having the new allowance limit, and 3 weeks in I get a text saying I was close to using up all my data. This is strange, as I haven't changed any of my habits - not installed any new apps or anything like that. If anything, I'm fairly sure I've used it a bit less...

My data ran out, and I begrudgingly bought a 1gb bolt on (£9!) as I thought that that would get me through the week and then some.

That 1gb has disappeared within 6 days. As I said, I haven't changed my usage habits, and I've burned through 5gb when I normally would maybe get through 2 to 3.

Can't help but wonder why this didn't happen when I had the 20gb allowance.

Any thoughts, anybody? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Check for the normal things:
-WiFi assist is off (see help here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205296)
-updates and backups set only to happen over WiFi
-see what is using the data (settings-data usage or something similar - known offender is Facebook)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We haven't heard of this for a while but it was a prolific problem some time ago with iPhone's running out of data and it's well complained about on here.
Firstly you need to check your handset usage in the settings >mobile data >mobile data usage and see if this ties up with o2. You do have to reset this each month though to keep track. Also, further down the page, make sure "wifi assist" is off.
If your data use is lower than o2 think you need to raise a ticket with CS for it to be investigated http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turn off background Refresh In settings too as that will use lots of data 

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I've checked my settings as you've all suggested, but they're all exactly as they've always been.

I also spoke to someone on customer support who was totally adamant that I was just updating all my apps via mobile data, which is untrue - I only ever do this via wi-fi at home, but they wouldn't have any of it. Their best suggestion was to restrict my apps from using cellular data and only use them on wi-fi, which sort of defeats the object of having cellular data at all.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
How much data does your phone say App Store has used?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

In settings>mobile data look at your list of apps. Turn the ones you don't use while out & about off

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your phone will tell you what apps are using data, something has changed but this was a massive problem at one time. @MI5 himself ended up changing networks but I believe that was an iphone 5S?

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes it was at that time, but issue went away with a different network.
The key thing to do is check app usage accurately on phone and have all the evidence to challenge CS with.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9