Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5s not charging

Souny82
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi there, my iPhone has recently started not charging. It started playing up and switching itself off. But today it's charging when it's dead, coming back on at 3% then it just doesn't charge. Any ideas on what to do?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 How old is the phone

2 is this with all leads / chargers etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Souny82 wrote:

hi there, my iPhone has recently started not charging. It started playing up and switching itself off. But today it's charging when it's dead, coming back on at 3% then it just doesn't charge. Any ideas on what to do?

A quick few things I would do.

- Charge the phone so that it will power on, as you said it's working until it powers.

- Press and hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button, which will force the phone to do a hard restart.

- When the phone is on again, try charging.

If still not working...

- Check your Lightning connector port for dust, dirt, etc. - Check your lightning cable for the same.

- Try charging another lightning iOS device with the same cable to see if the cable is faulty or not.

- If it charges another device, contact apple support about your handset and tell them the situation, they'll run a diagnostics on the phone and perform some checks for you.

- Repair / Exchange with Apple as necessary, providing you don't have O2 / contract insurance and aren't in your first 28 days.

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try a different charger.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Buy an Android.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy a Samsung much more reliable 

Message 6 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Honestly tho, sounds like the charger isn't giving off enough amps, as said by mi5 and adamtemp64 ....
Try a different charger.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add make sure it's a genuine official charger

Message 8 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

For clarity as long as the charger meets the required specification for the device as this is an iphone if it is Mfi certified it can be any manufacturer 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Souny82 wrote:

A quick few things I would do.

- Charge the phone so that it will power on, as you said it's working until it powers.

- Press and hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button, which will force the phone to do a hard restart.

- When the phone is on again, try charging.

If still not working...

- Check your Lightning connector port for dust, dirt, etc. - Check your lightning cable for the same.

- Try charging another lightning iOS device with the same cable to see if the cable is faulty or not.

- If it charges another device, contact apple support about your handset and tell them the situation, they'll run a diagnostics on the phone and perform some checks for you.

- Repair / Exchange with Apple as necessary, providing you don't have O2 / contract insurance and aren't in your first 28 days.

Hope this helps!

Great recommendations!

@Souny82 was any of the advice useful ?

Message 10 of 10