Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad Pro can’t use phone number

Fayjoe
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I bought two iPad Pro’s and have unsettled sim, set up iCloud as had iPhones. But the phone numbers are not working for texts. I can text some numbers but my email address shows up. I have tried texting the iPad number from my phone and it goes through as a text message not iMessage and it is not received on the iPad. I have 100 free texts on iPad too. Please help
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Fayjoe 

iPads can't do sms messages, only iMessages I'm afraid.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Fayjoe 

iPads can't do sms messages, only iMessages I'm afraid.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Fayjoe
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your reply. It is an iMessage we are trying to send. Should it be showing email address rather than phone number?
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Fayjoe 

You need continuity on other devices turned on so it will use your phones number to send iMessages from.

Make sure you select the phone number in the iPad settings to "start messages from" too.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Fayjoe
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah ok her phone broke! So that explains it. How frustrating I didn’t want to get her a new phone. Sorry any chance you know of a good messaging app? As WhatsApp doesn’t work, thanks
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Fayjoe 

Facebook messenger seems the obvious choice?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Fayjoe
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It’s for my 10 year old so she’s not allowed Facebook. Thanks anyway I will have a good look at what’s available
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Fayjoe 

You can use messenger without a facebook account, but the problem you will run into with nearly all messaging apps is that you'll need a phone number to link to it.

You can send and receive iMessages to email addresses but it relies on all recipients having an Apple device and allowing messages to be sent to an email address.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8