cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which iphone & Tariff??

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an iphone4 on PAYG( usually top up £10/month which covers data, do very few calls)and an i pad3 wifi/3G so i pay £10.21 (i think) monthly for a data plan. I use my phone for checking mail & browsing, no video downloads etc. I use my i pad mainly at home on my home wifi but have kept up the monthly data payments for when i am away from home. This is not often, just holidays etc. I had considered changing tariff to one which would allow 'tethering' of my i pad to my phone but reading these forums it looks like the dirty has been done so that I would now need an i phone 5 to do this having done all the software upgrades. So, am I correct in saying that my plan to buy a 4S and use a pay monthly tariff to allow me to use ipad tethered so saving £10 a month are now completely invalidated!! Are there any other options, I have never been on a contract so am a bit wary of going down this route.
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
look at the o2 refresh tariff options from an o2 store separate phone cost and tariff so you can change handset when you want.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
an iPhone 4S with an iPhone data bolton on contract allows tethering but no payg o2 tariffs allows tethering nothing to do with an iphone 5
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought I had read somewhere, will try & find it, that the latest software update for the iphone removed this facility from all but the iphone5? Will see if I can find link. Thanks
Message 3 of 7

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
My 4s running 6.1.3 sitting next to my ipad 3 I am typing this on has the tethering option and works (but on wifi in the pub at present as only in a 2g area)

I will post a screen grab once at home and able to upload it to the forum to confirm it (and hide sensitive details)
Apple Watch series 4

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found the piece I was reading, it looks like the problem was solved with a change to the settings. So I was wrong about needing iphone 5. I am considering a change of phone anyway but it looks like i dont have to go up the iphone 5 route, a 4S would do. Just got to work out most cost effective way of doing it. I suppose the advantage of a contract is that I wouldnt have the dilemma of when & how to fund any upgrades.

Message 5 of 7

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
look at the o2 refresh tariff options from an o2 store separate phone cost and tariff so you can change handset when you want.
Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for advice. Will have a look.

Message 7 of 7