cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking iPhone without SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just submitted a request for O2 to unlock my iPhone 4 on PAYG.  My balance is over the £15 required.  I have an iPhone 5S and I want to move my number over to the SIM inside it.  I have entered the relevant information and submitted the 'unlock' form on the O2 website.  Can I now go through the SIM swap and transfer to my new SIM in my new phone or would this prevent O2 from unlocking my old iPhone 4?  Do I need to wait for O2 to unlock the iPhone 4 before I make the transfer?  My understanding is that this is done through the IMEI rather than through anything else, but I want to make sure I don't create any problems with doing a SIM swap while this takes place.  How long does the unlock usually take in practice?  The FAQ says 3 days, but the "submitted" page said 14 days!

Any assistance much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145202 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27886 Solutions
It won't make any difference as the credit will transfer across to the new sim and the number will be the same so when they take the money from your sim it will be just the same regardless of which sim you are using.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your iPhone 4 imei will be latched to your account as long as you've been using it to make chargeable calls.

You just need to perform the swap my sim procedure to move your number and tariff from the micro sim you used in your iPhone 4 to a nano sim for your iPhone 5 as you state.

Personally I would wait until you receive the unlock email but that's just me.

One thing at once !

You will receive a e mail in a few working days and just insert a non 02 SIM card in the iPhone 4 and hook up to iTunes to complete the unlock.
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145202 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27886 Solutions
It won't make any difference as the credit will transfer across to the new sim and the number will be the same so when they take the money from your sim it will be just the same regardless of which sim you are using.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 3