cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking iPhone 6 Plus

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, 

OK a bit of a weird one here that I can't find the answer to online. Hoping maybe someone here could help me.

Bought an iPhone 6 Plus over a year ago and used a GiffGaff sim since new.  Last week an issue developed with the phone and Apple replaced it.  I again put my GiffGaff sim into the new phone and thus it has also become locked to 02.  I want to now use the phone with EE and therefore must get the phone unlocked.  Looking at the 02 FAQ's on the matter it says that as a PAYG customer you must be with 02 for 12 months before requesting an onlock code.  Even though I've been with GiffGaff for 12+ months does the fact I have just had my phone replaced effect this do you think?  If it doesn't how do I go about having it unlocked as the FAQ speaks about having an 02 sim with £15 credit on it.

All a bit confusing and I thought I would ask here before I contact 02.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There is no requirement for an iPhone to be used for 12 months, that only applies to "all the other" makes.
You need an o2 payg sim with £15 credit (make sure it's NOT a big bundle sim) for the unlock and some for calls so put a £20 top up on and use it to make calls and send texts for a couple of days, then submit the unlocking form.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The replacement will have no effect but the fact used on gif gaff and not o2 may be an issue.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

The best thing to do is follow this unlock process here to try first http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

If you have any problems then contact o2 CS 4445 payg

Edited to add the info from giffgaff https://www.giffgaff.com/unlock/o2-reviews

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There is no requirement for an iPhone to be used for 12 months, that only applies to "all the other" makes.
You need an o2 payg sim with £15 credit (make sure it's NOT a big bundle sim) for the unlock and some for calls so put a £20 top up on and use it to make calls and send texts for a couple of days, then submit the unlocking form.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4