cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to unlock iPhone 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr brother is on cotract with O2, and he gave his old iPhone 3G to my Mum for her to use.  It needs to be unlocked.  I obtained an O2 PAYG SIM card and topped it up with £15, filled in the online form to unlock it, but I keep getting back the following emai:

"Dear

Thank you for your iPhone unlatching request for IMEI xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
The mobile number that you provided is xxxxxxxxxxx.

I'm sorry, we have not been able to unlatch your iPhone at this time.
The reason given is:

Sorry, you have not passed our security checks with the information that
you have provided. Kindly check that you have provided the correct
information.

Thank you,

O2 Customer Service"

I've tried it several times and I keep getting the same reply.  I've done it before, years ago, for a phone I got off eBay, and went through smoothyly first time.

And another anoying thing is that at the bottom of the email it says that I have any quires I can email them (and it gives an address), but when I did I got back a reply saying that don't take emails anymore.......

What kind of company doesn't commicate via email??

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Have you used the phone with the new sim card to make a few calls? If not, the IMEI will not be associated with the sim card or mobile number.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Have you used the phone with the new sim card to make a few calls? If not, the IMEI will not be associated with the sim card or mobile number.

Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought it might be that so I called a couple of numbers.  Does it matter if the receiving phone answered or not?

Message 3 of 18

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
The e mail facility was turned off some time ago I'm afraid.

@Toby we need this looking at please.
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, OK.  Thanks.  I'll try that then.

Thanks for the help. slight_smile

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

Your brother may still be able to get the phone unlocked as it may still be associated with his account and it's free to contract customers.

Or ask him to re insert his sim and make some calls to latch it's imei again and then he fills out the unlock form.
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggested that at first, but he had a look at the form and was worried it would unlock his current phone instead.  In any case he has na iPhone 5(s?) now, which takes a different sized SIM.

Also, I've already topped up this SIM card already anyway, and that's all we want to use it for.

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

No it would unlock the iPhone 3G and free sim adapters are available from O2 shops to make the nano sim the same size as a standard sim ,but I appreciate what your saying.
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I understand this question may have been fully answered but I would just like clarification.

I have received a second hand iPhone 4 from a friend as my iPhone 5 has broken (this is on a 3 contract). I have purchased an o2 pay as you go simcard and topped this up with £20.00 today. I have made two calls, one to my sister and one to myself. I requested an unlock via the online o2 form, but my email response stated that my phone was unable to be unlatched at this time as the mobile number I provided has not been registered to the IMEI provided.

If I continue to make a couple of calls (still leaving the £15 needed on the phone) and wait around 2-3 days, will my new o2 number then connect with the IMEI number so that I am unable to unlock it? Or is the IMEI registered to the original number the phone was purchased with? I understand there is an o2 sim swap online form, would this be worth doing, or is waiting a couple of days for the IMEI and new number to link up all I need to do?

Again, I apologise if this has already been answered but I have a very busy week ahead and would just like confirmation on the matter.

Many Thanks!
Message 10 of 18