cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden data usage spike - Twitter to blame?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had a weird sudden spike in my data usage and can't understand what's going on 😞 I've got an iPhone 5c which I've had since last May, on a plan with 1GB of data included. In a normal month I don't use more than about 700MB of my data allowance. Last night, with 18 days to go till my data plan refreshes, I had a text to say I've used 80% of my data. I'm not doing anything differently to any previous month - I mostly use my phone at home on WiFi and might look at Twitter or facebook for a few minutes a day while at work using mobile data. As I've had battery issues in the past, all the obvious data drains such as the email push setting, facebook video auto play and background app refresh are switched off already.
I tweeted O2 this morning to ask for advice. They advised me to see an O2 Guru but also to monitor my data usage. I reset my data counter and all I've done using mobile data today is send two tweets, spending no more than three minutes on the Twitter app in total, and my data counter is saying I've used 29.2MB of data doing so. This seems an awful lot! Is it reasonable to think it's Twitter that has suddenly started using up my data so rapidly and if so, what can I do? Thanks slight_smile
Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to settings>Mobile>current period & see what it says.

Below it will have a list of all the apps you use & which ones are using mobile data, turn off the ones that you don't need to use with mobile data really

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Try deleting the app and reinstall it. Also check the settings to see if there is anything obvious.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, so sorry to be thick but which settings should I check?
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to settings>Mobile>current period & see what it says.

Below it will have a list of all the apps you use & which ones are using mobile data, turn off the ones that you don't need to use with mobile data really
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I've only ever had Facebook and Twitter switched on under those settings. For today only, no Facebook usage and 29.2MB of Twitter for approx three minutes' usage ...
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Delete the Twitter app then see how you get on
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks slight_smile I've never really kept track of my data before as its never been an issue but I'm guessing 29MB for a few minutes' use is a lot for a social media app?
Message 7 of 21

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Deleted as thought it was an Android device not Apple. Confused where i was for a minute grin

Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a very big amount & shouldn't be thst much just for 3 minutes
Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I've found my culprit then! Thanks for confirming that for me slight_smile
Message 10 of 21