Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED - "Compatible (iPhone) data bolt on" required for roaming

SteveC1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Twice in the last few years I been unable to use mobile data whilst aboard on my iPhone (whilst it worked fine in the UK before I went away).  I have a SIM-only contract with O2.

On contacting O2 customer service, I am told that need an "iPhone Bolt-on" - see the pertinent entries from the customer service transcript :

"I see that the Bolton which was activated was not an iPhone Bolton however now I have activated the iPhone Bolton on your account and you will be able to use the service and recieved the internet."

"As this is a sim only contract so system did not recognise the handset you're currently using"

It would be nice to see this in MyO2 on o2.co.uk, but I can't see anywhere this is displayed.

(The reason that this has happened multiple times is that I changed my O2 contract between trips, and it seems that the "iPhone Bolt on" has to be applied each time the contract is changed)

Am just posting this here for record, and in case it helps anyone else.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Something we are aware of here but thanks for posting slight_smile

If any customer does find themselves abroad in this situation and can't call O2 to correct it, they can change their data apn to "mobile.o2.co.uk" and data will work whilst abroad.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5wrote:

Something we are aware of here but thanks for posting slight_smile

If any customer does find themselves abroad in this situation and can't call O2 to correct it, they can change their data apn to "mobile.o2.co.uk" and data will work whilst abroad.

Something that has been fed back many times but trying to get things changed would seem to be nigh on impossible.

Message 3 of 9

SteveC1
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - my APN is idata.o2.co.uk at the moment, what's the significance of mobile.o2.co.uk ?

I find it annoying to have to spend time when I am meant to be on holiday contacting O2 customer service - especially as O2 *does* know what type of Mobile I have (it's displayed in MyO2!). Why can't the correct bolt-on be applied automatically ?

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Using the different apn allows a data connection to the wrong data tariff when abroad.
It’s something that we have fed back numerous times but the system defaults to a standard data connection and if missed when setting up the account gives the problem you describe.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The significance is one works abroad and the other one doesn't. I am sure someone has a more technical explanation @SteveC1 but I agree it's a needless faff and needs sorting. Smiley Frustrated

Edited to add. @MI5 has given the technical explanation...Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @SteveC1, how's your Friday going? slight_smile 

Thanks a lot for coming to update on the issue you had and how it was solved - very helpful especially for new members who have these issues and are not aware. slight_smile

We'll include your topic in our feedback that we share with O2 from the community including your comments guys @MI5, @jonsie@Cleoriffthumbsup 

Message 7 of 9

Julie53
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I need help... 

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Julie53 

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

Thanks

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9