cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 - Swapping numbers between accounts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a 24m PM contract on an iPhone 6 that has recently completed, and so has rolled onto the 30-day rolling contract - this contract is in my father's name. Also, under instruction from an O2 member of staff at my local O2 shop, I purchased a brand new contract on a SIM only plan for the same iPhone 6, which is in my own name. This was done because my father requested that I become the bill payer for the iPhone 6's Airtime Plan (the Device Plan has already been paid off).

I would like to continue using the phone number assigned to the account in my father's name, whilst using it on the new SIM (via the SIM only plan mentioned above) - i.e. a SIM swap is probably necessary.

Upon using the swapmysim URL provided by O2, I receive the following error:

"We're already doing a sim swap for your mobile phone number."

I am assuming that this is due to my father's account still remaining open, however I would like to receive some confirmation of whether this is actually the case. Do I need to close my father's account and somehow retain his phone number, so that I can transfer it to my account via the swapmysim URL?

A step-by-step procedure of what to do in my position would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous the only people who can confirm the status of your fathers account are customer services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus  or he could check via his My O2 account. http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

I honestly think you would need to ring customer services though. They may wish to speak to your father as well...as it's his account you are discussing.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

To add...I understand what you are trying to do but as there are two accounts involved in this process...I think only customer services can assist you in this case....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can't sim swap because you are dealing with 2 different accounts.
Both yourself and your father need to be on the same call to CS on 202. Your father needs to give permission to transfer the number and you need to confirm you want to receive it. CS will then complete the transfer.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4