cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Sim In An iPhone 5C locked to Tesco Mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter wants to buy an iPhone 5C from a friend but she has a sim-only contract with O2. Will they work harmoniously or not?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

No, they will not. Tesco Mobile uses the O2 network, but they are an independent company.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

No, they will not. Tesco Mobile uses the O2 network, but they are an independent company.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Her O2 SIM card won't work in the phone. But do it the other way round, by putting a Tesco SIM into an O2-branded phone, and it will work. 

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Tesco will unlock the phone for free.
Get her friend to unlock it before she gets it off her http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1080-getting-started/1822-pay-monthly/unlock-your-tesco-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

If depends what contract your daughter's friend has. The mobile needs to unlocked. 

Found this on Tesco website

Unlock your Tesco Mobile phone
 Checking if your phone is unlocked
If you’ve got a Tesco Mobile phone and you want to put another network’s SIM card into it, you need to find out whether your Tesco Mobile phone is unlocked. 

To do this just put another network's SIM card into your device. If it doesn't work, it's probably locked.

Unlocking your pay as you go device
Your Tesco Mobile pay as you go phone will be free to unlock 12 months after it was activated. If you want to unlock it in the first 12 months, it will cost £10.

Unlocking your pay monthly device
Your pay monthly phone is free to unlock. Sometimes if a new phone or tablet has just been launched, you might not be able to unlock it straight away. We’ll let you know if this is the case when you contact us to unlock your device. 

It normally takes 7 working days for your unlocking code to come through, but occasionally it can take up to 28 days, depending on your device. 

How do I unlock my phone?
Call us on 0345 300 6660.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That is an exact copy of the link I posted just above your post.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Lol
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics