cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer... whats supposed to happen? HELP!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone out there who has already had their number ported to their iPhone able to outline the process for me?

I've got my Nokia running on an old contract, which I've got the PAC for and given to O2.

I've got my iPhone running on a temporary number which I wan't my old number transferring to.

This afternoon, about an hour ago, it appears my iphone's sim-card has stopped as there is no service - does this mean the transfer is happening or do I need to do something to prompt it?

My old sim is still working and connected to O2 and is still using my old number.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep turning your iphone sim on and off.... it can take a while for it to come back on.. you may need to reset your voicemail ect... and you may find that you can not send text straight away...
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
What about my old phone/sim & number - will I need to turn that off; or will it lose connection on its own? At the minute it is still connected.

And how long should this take?
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apparently you are supposed to turn off the old number as well (from a lady in O2 CS)...

Just tried turning both phone off and wait about 15 mins or so.. It worked for me yesterday..
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Turn off the old phone, it is now dead (in effect)

Keep power cycing the new phone every 30m or so. I tested through the day by calling the number I was porting, eventually my iPhone rang when calling it so I knew my number had moved.

Please note, I was informed (and a few people have noticed) that text messages will be messed up for a day or so.
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
also you find voicemail may not work as I said in an earlier post... if you have any issues.. dial 901 activate it that way then visual voicemail
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thats whats confused me, cos my old phone still works like normal... will ring CS to see whats going on,

Thanks
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had my number transfer from T-Mobile go through today and so went to work with both phones.

First thing I noticed that something was happening was at about 1030 when I wasn't able to send a text from my T-Mobile number. I tried calling my number from a landline, and my T-Mobile number rang. Turned both my phones off and then turned them on at 1100. My iPhone said no service so they went off again. At 1130 I turned on the iPhone and had service. Sent a text to a friend and called myself and confirmed my number had ported successfully. Weirdly, my T-Mobile phone was still making calls, and still showing up as having the ported number in called ID.

When I checked T-Mobile phone a bit later, it was indeed dead. Transfer was nice and straightforward... although I was told on Monday it would happen on Wednesday only to receive a text on Wednesday saying it would happen on Thursday.
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ideally if you can on your port date leave both phones off- but you can expect a complete interruption of service for around 30 mins to an hours as your number ports across, after which normal service should resume.
Message 9 of 9