Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network unavailable at concert/festival venues and poor at work

CvW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I wondered if anyone else was experiencing problems with the O2 network when they go to concerts, festivals and popular busy destinations?  While I expect signal to be effected and poor, O2 just seems to shut down...while all of my friends on other networks have signal, internet access and can make calls.  I even struggle with the signal when I am at work and the building is busy.

O2 says that they signal is fine but this doesn't reflect in my experience and I wondered if anyone else has the same problem?  And if it could be something to do with my settings?

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10197 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@CvW 

You need to ask the venues, as most seem to have done deals with BT, and as in Association EE, to provide connectivity and don't want these venues to add coverage from other networks. 

It also depends where the o2 masts are as well in relation to the venue, and with regards to work, it also depends on the building's construction, and how many people are on o2, it might be worth speaking to your IT department and if they are an  o2 enterprise customer if they can get some boost boxes or a some micro cells put up in your office. 

Also you can always connect your phone to your employers wifi and use wifi calling, as we do in some of our offices, which are built more to be a faraday cage. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 12

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I completely agree, this happens ALL THE TIME.

Even in supermarkets (as well as venues) I'm stuck with no connection whatsoever (calls/texts/data) – NOTHING working. While people I'm with on EE or other carriers have decent connections. 

While this is often all over London (where I live), it also happens outside the city too; so is regardless of geographical location. 

It's so sodding irritating! 

Message 3 of 12

Capvermell
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 23 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

CvW are you talking about problems with data or calls or both?

In my experience of O2 you can nearly always make calls most of the time even though you may only be connected to a very ancient 2G (G) 2.5G (E) or 3G (3G, H or H+) mast rather than 4G or 5G.  However calls do seem to get cut off after a few minutes on very busy masts at peak times as though they disconnect the oldest calls when a new customer needs to make one due to limited capacity on the mast.

Data however is quite another story and I am now experiencing in rural Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and Kent that most of O2's H+ (3.5G) masts that still provide data service to vast areas of the country outside cities and towns are now massively overloaded and you now either often get a timeout error in response to your request for a web page or a web page may take 20 or more seconds to appear.  Also all through June, July and August I have been experiencing that in popular coastal towns like Portsmouth and Poole and Bournemouth that data services simply go off completely on all mast types (3G, 4G and 5G) and are totally unavailable once there are more than a certain number of day trippers in the area.  So data services are often completely unavailable from say 11am to 5pm or 6pm for a lot of the summer in these busy coastal towns.  And this is including the 5G masts in Portsmouth and Bournemouth/Poole, even though last year when I first got my 5G phone in May 2021 data services were available and quite fast on 5G most of the time in the summer.

The problem is that O2's arrogant and very sales led Spanish owners (Telefonica) have simply taken on far more customers with far larger data allowances (on O2, Tesco Mobile, Sky Mobile and soon Virgin Mobile) than their network was built to withstand and at locations that get busier at peak periods this is simply shutting down data services completely at those times of day.

I have been through complaints with O2 Customer Services and then to their CRT department (Customer Relations Team) who are supposed to phone you back but all they do is make a one and a half ring long call from 0800 800 0242 and then ring off each time before you answer (so they don't have to speak to you).  I complained to customer services about this trick of the CRT team so eventually got a more senior Yorkshire based adviser in CRT who had been there since Cellnet days and he admitted their network was totally overloaded with data requests and my only option was to leave them if I wanted reliable data service.  After this I escalated to the Complaints Review Service at O2, which was even more useless and simply rubber stamped the advice of previous advisers that I could not expect to count on O2 for data and should leave if I wanted a better service.  As this made me pretty angry my complaint is currently with the Communications Ombudsman even though I have never taken any complaint with any organisation as far as Ombudsman level before.

There is no perfect solution as EE has faster 4G data available in more places but its signals don't travel as far from each mast on their old 2G and 3G cells or penetrate thick walled buildings as well as O2 or Vodafone's.  www.rootmetrics.com shows EE has the fastest data service overall in the UK but EE has an appalling network in the area where I live and O2 and Vodafone have far more signal when I go out on walks locally etc.

As EE is very pricey compared to the other networks for the same data allowance currently I'm considering getting data/calls plans on Talkmobile (owned by Vodafone but cheaper) and Three and running two SIMs in my Dual SIM phone.  That way I should have more chance of having data service most of the time although I will have to rely on Talkmobile for incoming calls.

See my other current thread on this topic at https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/O2-Data-Network-Unavailable-For-Hours-At-A-Time-A...

Message 4 of 12

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

They clearly said, it's everything: "...while all of my friends on other networks have signal, internet access and can make calls.

O2 is definitely worst from my experiences. And if you think being a Volt customer helps; no, it doesn't, it merely makes things worse, as it supposedly ups us up a plan level on both services. Thus the network has yet more contention, clogging things up. 

The annoying thing is... with Esim's you can't just add a PAYG Esim on the second line on your phone, that comes stacked with data (and sometimes minutes) that lasts a year – as currently no networks offer Esims on non-contracts AFAICT. So your only option is to pay monthly for a second line on monthly payments contract. 

Message 5 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

This has got progressively worse month on month for the last 8/9 months throughout the Lancashire area

Thank God I have a dual sim phone so O2 is twinned with the EE sim

I only use the EE sim now and have no problems with data or calls cutting out at all

I will not be renewing my contract with O2, I just don't see the point or want the hassle any more

Message 6 of 12

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

The only trouble is EE's customer service is rubbish, in my past experiences. So you can't win really. 

Unless there's something else wonderful about them I don't know about, lol! 😂

Message 7 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10197 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

To be fair @jimthing0 

EE's customer service has got a lot, better when I did a port and it screwed up, I had a phone call and emails everyday with an update. 

And when I have called its been pretty good as well. 

They are getting very expensive as BT want their pound of flesh....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 12

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

They are getting very expensive as BT want their pound of flesh....

Interesting. In what way? 

Message 9 of 12

BradleyIF
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had this issue at Wembley recently. 

I appreciate in busy congested places signal is at a premium but my wife on O2 was getting some sort of signal (able to browse and message) i got nothing. 

Yes i tried turning it off and on again. 

Message 10 of 12