cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone5 water damage - really?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so confused, can someone solve this mystery!  I got my Iphone5 7 mos ago.  I have NOT dropped my iphone5 in water, or excessively splashed it.  Yes, I have used it in the rain. 

The home button has quit working; however not putting a high correlation to the rain as the home button on my husbands and my daughters also only work sporadically, so both rely on the assist.  I hate the assist and as my iphone is only 7mos old, took it in to O2 to be repaired.  Repair department said £194 for fixing or £199 for replacement iphone.  I asked for it back.  I asked for explanation from store and they said it could be due to having it in humid areas (e.g. the shower room).  That seems to contradict the last info out from Apple http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302 

Upon examining iphone "water sensor" by sim card is still white.  I realise there are 2 other sensors which are internal and hard to get water to.

How have my water sensors been activated?

I am slightly confused as - I returned my leased iphone in Feb2013 only to learn there was water damage with that phone as well --- really? Again that iphone was not dropped in water.... the most it was in my pocket in the rain.  BUT THIS IS ENGLAND!!!

2 phones not dropped in water but yet 2 "water damage" charges from O2.

Message 1 of 36
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Your best option would be to visit your nearest Apple store. Make a Genius appointment. We hear these stories all the time about O2's repairers. I personally would never send my phone to them and recommend dealing with the manufacturers wherever possible.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shouldn't be using most phones in the rain to be honest (unless waterproof).

There is also a sensor in the headphone socket btw..

Any water damage and you are screwed unfortunately, same with any phone.

(PS. you said you took it to O2 for repair...don't, take it to an Apple shop and you MAY get lucky...worth a try!)

Message 2 of 36

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Your best option would be to visit your nearest Apple store. Make a Genius appointment. We hear these stories all the time about O2's repairers. I personally would never send my phone to them and recommend dealing with the manufacturers wherever possible.

Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, my gut was telling me to take it to Apple genius.... will book appointment and drive the 45mins to apple store.

I do find it surprising that o2 charge £194 for water damage repair and can find it MUCH cheaper thru non-warranty iphone repair companies.  I didn't take iphone to them first as I didn't want to void the warranty, however upon finding out I have no warranty - considering all options if Apple cannot help.

Message 4 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, my gut was telling me to take it to Apple genius.... will book appointment and drive the 45mins to apple store.

Worth it for sure.  If you don't have a history of taking loads of devices back they tend to be more understanding too - have replaced phones out of warranty, with cracked screens etc..

Be nice to them, don't mention anything about water damage either wink

Message 6 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice.  Never taken a device to Apple before..... we have 3 ipads, 6 active iphones, 2 mac laptops, mini-mac and desktop.   

I just feel really taken by O2 repairs.  I was quickly offered a replacement, but had to pressure them for the repair costs.  It just feels like someone makes money off broken iphones which then get repaired to be sold as refurbished. 

I'm ready to walk from O2, but not sure vodaphone would be any better.

Message 7 of 36

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

..... we have 3 ipads, 6 active iphones, 2 mac laptops, mini-mac and desktop.   

Not really an Apple fan then:smileyhappy:

I'm wary of any outsourced repairers, at least you can rely on the manufacturer being fair.

It's getting towards Christmas and these cowboys need to make their bonuses!

Message 8 of 36

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I seem to remember a post saying they don't get paid if there is no repair carried out.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 36