Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hike in data usage on iPhone5/5s

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Apparently there is an issue with the iPhone 5/5s using up data.

A friend of mine is on EE and they went through all of her settings and they confirmed that 'numerous' customers have been complaining of the same thing.  I checked her settings with mine and I use mine a lot more than hers and I have only used about 350MB in the last 4 days and she has used almost 1GB.

EE advised her to contact Apple and when she did, she was told to restore the phone and to download an app called VPN and it would monitor the data that was being used.

Has anyone else had this problem?

If not, then surely it is an issue with EE and not with Apple?

EE claim that it is a bug in the Apple software.  My friends data hike has only started happening a few months ago - around the time that the new software update come out.  I have heard 'rumours' that Apple inset little 'bugs' in their software updates close to the time of new software and iPhones being released in order to make the devices lag - maybe to increase sales of the new devices? What is your opinion on it?

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I can't see the need for 5 different browsers tbh.
I just use Chrome across all my devices so everything is fully sync'd at all times.

I use chrome on my own devices too (apart from the Z10), but firefox on the company machines.

@gemz4the1I had a similar spike on my 4s just after an update a few updates ago which was due to the phone reverting to mobile data in standby even though there was a wifi connection and there are several apps and system services that update in the background. The general advice is to turn off mobile data when connected to wifi, and go into settings to check what has been using data.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've not had this issue on mine Gemma but I've read others have.

I always check in Settings , mobile and look at my apps at the bottom to see what's using what and reset it at my allowance refresh.

I've used the iPhone from iPhone 4 and updated through all the iOS firmwares and updates and had no lag.

Rumour is exactly that rumour. wink

Can you link to where ee state about the bug please.

A recent similar thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Does-Apple-deliberately-slow-old-iPhones-before-a-new-release...
Message 2 of 22

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I always check my settings too and I checked the settings on my friends phone and they were basically the same so we are both baffled as to why she is using so much data.  Like me, she only uses her 3G whilst she is at work as she uses her wifi at home.  She always turns her data off when she is at home.

Message 3 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Thread here by PapaDug discussing the lag issue http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Does-Apple-deliberately-slow-old-iPhones-before-a-new-release...
High data usage has been reported across all networks since the intro of the 5 and iOS6.
No one has figured out why though as it seems to be random as to who it effects.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 22

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thank you for that link MI5. 

It is an interesting read.

It's strange that it is happening to random users.

Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have the same apps too. Different apps use data in the background to update location services etc.

Have you both turned off background app refresh.

Theirs lots of tips etc available via a google search.

Message 6 of 22

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Most of our apps are the same, such as Facebook, whatspp, twitter, etc.  There are some apps that we have different.

I have checked and her background refresh is off and so is the location settings.

If the other thread is correct then it is just a random thing that is happening.  Hopefully it will get sorted soon otherwise my friend will have a very big bill for data :(

Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps suggest your friend moves to more GB per month , obviously dependant on cost etc.

I use the internet very heavily and manage to stay within my 2GB allowance.
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for info picked up on this topic.

I too have had problems.  Been with O2 and iPhone for over 5 years.

Never had a problem with Data usage until last month.

Downloaded latest IOS from Apple and then my whole allowance was used in 14 days.  Same happened this month.

Not a happy bunny.

I too fear that this is something to do with the IOS upgrade.

Perhaps I should go to an Android!!

Message 9 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps I should go to an Android!!

Certainly, if you want more control over your phone than Apple allow....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 22