Did you mean: 

Group Message Thread

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

How do I do group messages?

I am able to select multiple contacts and send a message to them, but when they reply it comes up as a new message thread with each separate contact.

Is it possible to send the group message and have each contact reply within the same message thread and their name come up next to each message?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can't do it in normal sms I'm afraid.
You need an app. It may be possible in iMessage but as I don't use it you'd need someone who does to confirm, but obviously it won't help you if you are messaging non apple users.
The best solution is to agree on one app between your circle of friends and all download it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
BBM or whatsapp.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
BBM or whatsapp.....

I have both but some of my friends don't use those apps so I wanted to do it on the normal message bit.

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can't do it in normal sms I'm afraid.
You need an app. It may be possible in iMessage but as I don't use it you'd need someone who does to confirm, but obviously it won't help you if you are messaging non apple users.
The best solution is to agree on one app between your circle of friends and all download it.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 

It's crap that an app is needed to do this.

Hopefully a fellow Apple user can confirm the information that you have given.

Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Using sms could also be costly.  Maybe better filtering those using the free apps. ..Most people I know use one of Facebook,messenger, viber, line, whatsapp,Skype or a combination of some.

Message 6 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi gemz

I usually just pick the contacts to add when I'm in the sms app but be wary if you send to loads it could turn to mms.

Or perhaps look at options such as -> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/group-text!/id377826584?mt=8
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
On some Samsung devices there is a group limit of either 10 or 20 recipients. If you have the mms warning on then it will tell you.

I am not sure if this applies to all android devices. I did have a windows phone recently and that limited me to (I think) 10. I don't use Apple so no idea there.
Message 9 of 14

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thank you for all of your advice slight_smile

Message 10 of 14