Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Esim problems

JamesK1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all. Recently bought an iPhone 14 pro in the us, so esim only. Current phone is iPhone 11. Back in UK order esim pack from O2, arrived today and followed O2 instructions by scanning QR code on old phone. Then did sim swap to transfer existing number to esim. Now old phone doesn’t connect to network so presumably existing number on esim. Scanning QR code on new phone doesn’t work, says code no longer active. Old phone can’t transfer esim to new phone. So now neither phone can connect to network so I can’t call anyone. Is it all completely trashed so I need to call customer services to rectify? Should I try deleting the esim from my old phone and see if it will scan on my new phone?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10200 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@JamesK1 

I think you have messed up somewhere along the way, as you can only use the esim QR code once, so the error message is correct. 

What you should have done is 

Started the sim swap on the new phone, by following texting the details to the number provided, and once you get a response back, scan the QR code on your new phone. 

So yeah its trashed, and wont work..

Best thing to do is pop into an o2 shop with Photo ID, and they can help you do it there and then... or wait for a new eSim pack, and then call o2 to activate it. 

Have a look at this guide Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 10

JamesK1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, I think the error was in following O2’s instructions that the QR code should be scanned first from the old phone. I’ll call O2 tomorrow and see if they can sort it, else they can send me a new esim pack pronto as I don’t have a working number in the meantime.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144472 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27682 Solutions

@JamesK1 

You can use the same esim code 3 times on the same phone, but cannot transfer it to a different phone.

Try erasing it from your 11 and rescanning it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

JamesK1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5. Apologies for appearing dense, but rescanning the code from my old or new phone? If the old, I still don’t see how that gets the esim/existing number on to my new phone (though might allow me to connect to the network again on the 11). If the new, I understand from your comment that as it’s already been scanned on my 11 it cannot now work on my 14.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144472 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27682 Solutions

@JamesK1 

It won't get your new phone working, you will need  new esim pack for that, but it should get you reconnected on the old phone until the new esim arrives or until you can go in store to get one.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6983 Solutions

As things stand, the days of doing your own sim swap are over if you order a sim from customer service as the old sim is deactivated as soon as they hit the order button.

Message 7 of 10

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36030 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

As things stand, the days of doing your own sim swap are over if you order a sim from customer service as the old sim is deactivated as soon as they hit the order button.

Yes, an oversight indeed by O2 - order from a reputable reseller, the new phone arrives, along with a shiny new Contract SIM in a blue "Contract or Business SIM inside" envelope  - hop into MyO2 app, go to Support, Swap your SIM, key in the serial# shown on the new SIM, and 5 mins later, all done - transfer from a 4yo 4G SIM to a brand new 5G SIM in about 5 mins!

Screenshot_20230202-141422.png

Screenshot_20230202-225918.png

Screenshot_20230116-115512.png

By 11:58, new SIM was active, old SIM was history. You'd think O2 would have thought about workflow, yeh? Oh. P'raps not 🤦

Message 8 of 10

JamesK1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks so much, that did work in getting my old phone to connect back to the network! Have now placed an order for a new esim (O2 virtual chat much faster than calling them) and will be scanning this from my new phone...!

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144472 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27682 Solutions

Happy to have helped @JamesK1 👍

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10