cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with replacement phone...

Anonymous
Not applicable

My phone went missing on friday and I have been sent a new sim. I was told the sim would have the same number and use the same contract as my original one. When the phone started up it asked me the usual start up questions, but also asked me what plan I was using. Pay monthly was not in the list but there was an option that appeared similar to it so I selected that, which I think was a mistake (and have no idea how to change it).

However I was sent text messages from o2 telling me my username, password etc, which implied the phone was online, but I cannot do anything with the phone. I cant make calls or send texts - calls make a strange humming noise and texts simply fail to send. I have no access to 3g.

There is currently no reference to the new sim on my o2 account, as this one appears to have a different number.

All in all I think I may have made a mistake somewhere and am really confused right now as to what Im supposed to do, also the instructions for the sim I received only seem to refer to a 3g tablet so don't make much sense to me (or was this a mistake?).

Anyone can possibly help to clarify my issue?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

When you reported the phone missing they will have imei barred the phone and blocked your sim and account to stop unauthorised use.

You need to ring O2 on 202 from an O2 powered phone or From a landline 0844 809 0202 > 5p / min.

They will un bar the account and after a short time the service will return.

Keep turning the phone off and on which helps the reset.

Also to move your mobile number and tariff to the new sim you will need to carry out the Swap My Sim Procedure.

Either text SWAP to 20220

Or use this link http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk

It takes from a few minutes to approx 24 hours to complete.

If you feel you have chosen a setting in your phone incorrectly and cannot find how to reverse it then you could google how to 'Hard Reset' your make of phone.

This will return it to factory conditions.

Also sending a text saying ACTIVE to 2020 ,will ask O2 to send you the internet settings.

Or input them manually.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

When you reported the phone missing they will have imei barred the phone and blocked your sim and account to stop unauthorised use.

You need to ring O2 on 202 from an O2 powered phone or From a landline 0844 809 0202 > 5p / min.

They will un bar the account and after a short time the service will return.

Keep turning the phone off and on which helps the reset.

Also to move your mobile number and tariff to the new sim you will need to carry out the Swap My Sim Procedure.

Either text SWAP to 20220

Or use this link http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk

It takes from a few minutes to approx 24 hours to complete.

If you feel you have chosen a setting in your phone incorrectly and cannot find how to reverse it then you could google how to 'Hard Reset' your make of phone.

This will return it to factory conditions.

Also sending a text saying ACTIVE to 2020 ,will ask O2 to send you the internet settings.

Or input them manually.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network
Message 2 of 10

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

When my phone was stolen a few years ago the police and O2 took down my serial number and mobile number and blocked it.  When the replacement sim came with my old number again, I had to contact O2 and they had to unblock my number.

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

When my phone was stolen a few years ago the police and O2 took down my serial number and mobile number and blocked it.  When the replacement sim came with my old number again, I had to contact O2 and they had to unblock my number.

Standard practice and a very sound one.

Peoples contracts are like a wallet to some thieves.

Message 4 of 10

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

My phone had my contacts and addresses in and whilst I was on the phone to the police reporting the theft, the thief turned up at my house when my mum and nephews were there and he tried to get in! Now I have passwords on my phone, I have the Find My Phone app activated/wipe phone option and I tend to not put addresses in my phone anymore.

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have full contacts but always have the 4 digit passcode lock on too.

My iPhone 4 was pickpocketed from me a while back and i did not use the passlock back then 😞

I promptly send a reward message, remote lock and wipe code through findmyiphone.

It was never returned 😞

I once read where a person lost/had stolen their iPod touch and the finder was taking pictures on it unaware that these uploaded to the rightful owners icloud photo stream ! 

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Busted
Message 7 of 10

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I read about that too! The photos were going straight to the iCloud account.  I don't know if that person was ever found and the item returned.

Similarly there was a man whose iPhone was stolen and he used Find my Phone to locate it to a block of flats and he contacted the police and they did a search and got the phone back.

I'm always wary about turning on my location as I hear it can drain the battery, however it is a necessity to help to locate it or wipe it if it is stolen.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not convinced turning that on causes any large battery drain and tbh its worth it if you have a shot of getting the handset back.

Message 9 of 10

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I agree BandOfBrothers - a bit of battery draining costs a lot less than losing a £549 phone

Message 10 of 10