Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change O2 account from old iPad to new iPad

Tim_Powys-Lybbe
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
We have a very old iPad which is a bit tired, so had bought a new one. We tried to change the O2 account from the old one to the new one but this was a disaster and was not possible. Does anyone know different? The SIM cards weren't the same size so we could not just move the SIM from one machine to another.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23102 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions
@Tim_Powys-Lybbe All you have to do is go into an O2 store and they will swap the right sized sim for you on the same account for free. The sim swap can take up to 24 hours but is normally much quicker. It's that simple. 😉

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 19

Tim_Powys-Lybbe
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambinowrote:
@Tim_Powys-LybbeAll you have to do is go into an O2 store and they will swap the right sized sim for you on the same account for free. The sim swap can take up to 24 hours but is normally much quicker. It's that simple. 😉
We have done that twice now. And in neither case have either the store staff or the Telephone staff been able to do what you describe. Further each time they have said we must buy a new SIM, £15 on the first visit and £20 on the second. On the second visit the store assistant even rang the telephone service for help but they did not know how to do what you say. On the first visit I was told to ring the telephone Help people and they said they would do what you said for the new SIM card - but it never happened. So, what should they have actually done?
Message 3 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122990 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Tim_Powys-LybbeThey must have been very unhelpful store staff. If you now have the new sim all you need to do is follow this guide http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 144454 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
Your options are either a brand new payg data sim with the top up as advised from the o2 shop or take your old sim to your local market stall and ask them to cut it down to the new size needed.
There must be an issue with your old sim or type of tariff that we aren’t aware of that is preventing a simple sim swap.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144454 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Cleoriffwrote:

@Tim_Powys-LybbeThey must have been very unhelpful store staff. If you now have the new sim all you need to do is follow this guide http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Not possible to do that for an iPad as it requires a text to be sent to old sim which an iPad can’t receive. 

If attempting this method the sim would have to be put in a phone to initiate the process. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122990 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5wrote:

@Cleoriffwrote:

Not possible to do that for an iPad as it requires a text to be sent to old sim which an iPad can’t receive. 

If attempting this method the sim would have to be put in a phone to initiate the process. 

Of course, though one would imagine there are plenty of phones hanging about in an O2 shop, which could have received the text required.!!

(No doubt there will be some other reason why that can't be done..)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 144454 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
I can only assume the store aren’t smart enough to think of that slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 19

Tim_Powys-Lybbe
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriffwrote:

@MI5wrote:

@Cleoriffwrote:

Of course, though one would imagine there are plenty of phones hanging about in an O2 shop, which could have received the text required.!!

(No doubt there will be some other reason why that can't be done..)

Thanks to all who have suggested the "http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/" site. It is of course too late to use that now. But on our second visit (which was spread over two days) one of the Telephone help people told me to tell the people at the shop that what was needed was a "SIM Swap". I passed this on but they obviously did not know about the internet site to use to do this. The store assistant obviously found some program as he did send a text message to the old iPad's phone number and was astonished to see it appear on my wife's iPhone. He said that the two phone numbers were somehow connected but did not realise that Apple have this HandOff facility that swaps messages from machine to machine for the one Apple Store ID (you can answer phone calls on a iMac desktop computer by this method). He then asked for the phone number for the new iPad. Unfortunately we did not know it. Nor then, did I, or he, know that the iPad's phone number is in Settings > General > About. He said we could get a SIM code from my wife's bank account which would include some long reference number. Our bank had no idea about this. This reference number should, he said, be told to O2's Telephone Help people who would be able to give the Phone number associated with the SIM card. I eventually found the phone number written on one of my old notes so we went back the following day with it. It was at this stage that we were told the Swap could not be done and we had to buy a new SIM card for a cheap £20. At no stage did he seem aware that what was need was, on the above "http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/" site, the 16 digit number on the back of the SIM card. So he was unable to complete the simple SIM Swap process. So they, between O2 Help and the Store assistant cancelled the old contract, said that £15 of the £20 was being credited and muttered noises about the last two monthly payments for the old account that would also be credited. We have no idea where all these credits were sent. Possibly to the old, cancelled O2 account? If that happens they will be lost in the ether! Who then should we speak to to sort all this out? PS: Why do all the Carriage Returns get deleted on the forum and all paragraphs get jumbled together? PPS: Has anyone actually used the "http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/" site successfully?
Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122990 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Re your last PPS re the sim swap being used successfully/. Yes I have on my husbands phone and my sons.

On mine I had it done instore by the very helpful staff in my local branch

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19