Did you mean: 

iPhone 5s & 5c/iO7 Guides and information

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

As you all begin to get to grips with the new iPhone 5s and 5c, you may encounter some issues or questions, so below are some guides that we have seen so far with helpful info which I will be adding to as we go along. These guides have been written by other members and if you feel like having a go at writing one, by all means go ahead!

If you have any tips and advice that you want to share here, as well as any great FAQ/guide suggestions, make a post below.

Guides, News and Content

iPhone 5S/C review discussion - by bandofbrothers

iOS7 settings Battery life video guide - by Fatboy

Overall battery saving video guide - by Fatboy

iOS Control Centre video guide - by Fatboy

Quick Launch on iOS7 video guide - by Fatboy

iWorks apps free on some devices - by Leebroath

Carrier Update guide - by Fatboy

iOS7 left/right swiping video guide - by Fatboy

iOS7 New Safari features video guide - by Fatboy

iOS7.0.3 released - by bandofbrothers

iOS7 messages app updates - by Fatboy

How to turn off the Parralax effect video guide - by Fatboy

Adding wallpapers onto your iPhone - by Fatboy

Touch ID video guide and tips - by Fatboy

Got any more tips? Make a post below

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't get my phone number to activate on iMessage, when I try I get a weird text message from 07786 205094

Message 2 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't get my phone number to activate on iMessage, when I try I get a weird text message from 07786 205094

Thats Apple sending you a config message i believe.

Message 3 of 47

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
@tractorgirl what is the content of the sms we have seen other reports of this.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 47

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Same poster here:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Receiving-Texts-from-07786205094/m-p/5311...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Toby wrote:

As you all begin to get to grips with the new iPhone 5s and 5c, you may encounter some issues or questions, so below are some that we have seen so far with helpful info which I will be adding to as we go along.

If you have any tips and advice that you want to share here, as well as any other great FAQ suggestions, make a post below.

------------------------------------------------------

I love the new 5s the fingerprint scanner option its brillant. The camera as been improved greatly.

So far have had no issue with setting the phone up. 

There still seem to be many buying the phone unaware 4G is not active for the new iPhone units on O2 right now - I still believe O2 are not doing enough to make people aware the phones WILL work on the O2 4G network but its going to take a few weeks for the update from Apple to appear. (Hopefully it will be sooner, please god) In the meantime there is a fiver of your next bill and you CAN use your data allowance as set out in your 4G tariff on the current 3G connection.

The press are reporting the gold sold out. At the Regent Street Apple store there were NO gold units to buy only silver and black as Apple staff called it (Space Grey). All GB capacities  models in space grey and silver w ere limited in 16 GB and soon sold out.

I was really impresed with the 5c units, really nice to hold, theres nothing plastic about them at all.

Lee

Message 6 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to the list.

When I was updating my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. I got prompted after the update that there was a carrier update. Now first of all it failed (I expect due to the high demand on launch day). I then clicked on the UPDATE button (in iTunes/Summary section) and it then prompted me again asking if I wanted to install the carrier update, this time it updated it with no problems.

Might be worth checking if there is a carrier update available, if your having connection/data connection issues.

I reaslise this thread is for iPhone 5c and 5s. But I can imagine the carrier update will apply to those models too.

First of all, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed. You need iTunes version 11.1 for iOS 7. And also, have your iPhone connected to iTunes with the USB cable that it came with. With updates, it isn't possible to use a wireless connection between your iPhone and iTunes.

Here's what you need to do:

1.png

2.png

3.png

Message 7 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

The iMessage activation seems to be an issue for many. I upgraded to a 5s yesterday (20th) and iMessage refuses to activate (sits at 'waiting for activation), plus I get the text messages that seem to relate to activation but don't mean a lot to the naked eye (I imagine they are not supposed to be seen normally).

I've tried all the fixes suggested including toggling wifi etc, then as a loast resort just done install a full restore to 'naked' 7.01, installed the carrier update and set up as a new phone, but nothing works. Going back to my previous backup now so my apps will be back in place.

My partner also got a 5s and is on Tesco - his iMessage activated without any issues. My iMessage works on my Macbook Air and my iPad Mini, but not on the 5s.

Hopefully O2 and Apple can resolve this soon.

Message 8 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The iMessage activation seems to be an issue for many. I upgraded to a 5s yesterday (20th) and iMessage refuses to activate (sits at 'waiting for activation), plus I get the text messages that seem to relate to activation but don't mean a lot to the naked eye (I imagine they are not supposed to be seen normally).

I've tried all the fixes suggested including toggling wifi etc, then as a loast resort just done install a full restore to 'naked' 7.01, installed the carrier update and set up as a new phone, but nothing works. Going back to my previous backup now so my apps will be back in place.

My partner also got a 5s and is on Tesco - his iMessage activated without any issues. My iMessage works on my Macbook Air and my iPad Mini, but not on the 5s.

Hopefully O2 and Apple can resolve this soon.

I expect its to do with the high demand of the people trying to activate their new iPhone's/iMessage.

Best to just keep trying, maybe today will be a little quieter?

Just leave it if its shown "waiting to activate" and keep checking back to see if it's successful.

Message 9 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems the iMessage problem is to do with O2's very own TuGo app.

You need to DELETE your TuGo account (just removing the app wont work, you can delete your account in settings within the app) and then, as if by magic, iMessage and FaceTime will work with your phone number

Also I discovered recently that I couldnt turn off voicemail, and I have now been able to do this after deleting TuGo.

Message 10 of 47