cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi/4g calling on Samsung S7, previously from carphone warehouse.

Mick753
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Having previously bought a Huawei Mate 20 Pro after it was sold to me under the advice in an O2 shop that it would be capable of Wifi calling, I am having to return the phone and take another handset which is capable of using wifi/4g calling.

In the meantime I have my old Samsung S7 SM-G930F which having scoured the various articles both on here and other places as well as on the O2 website, it would appear is perfectly capable of doing what I need it to do whilst I get the new handset sorted.

However the phone was previously bought through Carphone warehouse and registered with O2 so I have had to flash the handset to the latest O2 firmware which to my mind should then allow me to use wifi calling (which is enabled on my airtime contract options).

But, the handset being in perfect working order and being on the CSC: G930TEFS6ESH1 firmware which contains the TEF that the O2 guide mentions it must have, there are still no options in any of the menus on the handset to enable the wifi calling??

I have spoken to O2 Gurus online, and they appear to be stumped by this as the only thing they keep referring to is that flashing the handset will invalidate the warranty, when they get past the point where they accept that the handset is out of warranty, is using the up to date O2 firmware, is on a perfectly working handset they finally get round to trying to point me to where in the phone settings the wifi calling options are, but from that point on they are then unable to direct me any further and simply told me I should visit a shop!

Is there anyone on here that can confirm that having a handset with that firmware on, having flashed it from another providers firmware, the handset should now allow wifi calling through O2?

Everything i am reading suggests it should?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mick753 

I think reading your post, I will mention @MI5 one of our senior members regarding the info you gave about flashing your phone to give it O2 firmware. I'm not sure it would work if it is a model of phone built before Wifi Calling was an option?

However, I will leave it to him, or someone more technical than me to give you a real answer.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 25

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mick753 

Yes, it should be working with your current setup but I've known others have issues with reflashed S7's 

Apart from looking in the network/SIM settings, have you looked in the phone app/call settings?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers for the replies guys,

@MI5i've checked both via the phone/settings/more settings and also through the connections/mobile networks and there is zero mention of wifi calling.

Is there any particular reason why the phone would have any issues being reflashed, the flash went absolutely fine although one thing did strike me as strange and that was after the flash when the phone was rebuilding the apps the O2 app that was on the phone was in German?

Message 4 of 25

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mick753 

Try reflashing the generic firmware again.

It should work on that. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Generic firmware for the phone without any network?
Message 6 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mick753 

Yes

Message 7 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Many thanks,

downloading the BTU firmware it is then.
Message 8 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Disappointingly, that didn't work either.

completely stumped now given that the latest O2 and generic firmwares have been tried and the phone is not locked to any network either.

Message 9 of 25

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not sure what process you followed to flash and we aren't allowed to talk about it in detail on here either but a couple of factory resets might help as that isn't done automatically by Odin.
I'll try and find any previous posts with solutions as I know the S7 can be a pain.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 25