Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia 1 V Switch up MCE software

beardyone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just had a pretty intense conversation with a guy in store because the MCE software the stores use to approve handsets to be 'switched up' doesn't recognise the hardware camera button on my Sony Xperia 1 V

Can anybody here, customer or someone who works in a store, confirm if they have ever passed a Sony Xperia 1 V through the MCE diagnostic software? 

Or does it always hang on the 'checking rear camera' test. 

This is a pretty fundamental flaw in the software if it's a compatibility issue, the button and camera can be seen to work fine with no issues at all but the manager said there is no way to override the MCE software. 

So if anybody has been able to switch up thier Sony Xperia 1 V or if anyone in store has been able to pass one, or has encountered the MCE software hanging on the camera check, please comment. I don't know what next steps are because this is such a bizarre situation. Thanks all ☺️

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Probably because Sony use a pretty custom controller for the camera software instead of gcam or Samsung found on the ones they probably tested it on.

Last time I switched up they just did a physical check and run through menus etc so bit different now.

The idea though, that the software can't be overridden in glitch cases like this doesn't surprise me, one of those thick things O2 love doing of late.

I would actually suggest complaining in this instance though, as they cannot fulfil their contracted obligations due to yet again, more shoddy coding.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@viridis ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Probably because Sony use a pretty custom controller for the camera software instead of gcam or Samsung found on the ones they probably tested it on.

Last time I switched up they just did a physical check and run through menus etc so bit different now.

The idea though, that the software can't be overridden in glitch cases like this doesn't surprise me, one of those thick things O2 love doing of late.

I would actually suggest complaining in this instance though, as they cannot fulfil their contracted obligations due to yet again, more shoddy coding.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

Thanks for coming back @viridis 

@beardyone 

Taking the advice given above:

make a complaint

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

beardyone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you guys. I've sent a complaint off. O2 have been truly horrific recently. When I originally upgraded to the Xperia it took 6 weeks because my order was 'stuck in back office' and couldn't be moved on or cancelled. Then there was the recent billing account switching nightmare which left me with a broken myO2 for weeks. But I digress. I'll wait and see what they say 🤷‍🙈

Message 5 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10200 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@beardyone 

When I have done a switchup, the store have just taken the phone off me, and as long it switched on and the condition met the criteria and worked no further testing was done in store... 

Which store was this out of curiosity??

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 9

beardyone
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It was the Cwmbran store. But I went into Swansea store today, explained what had happened, and the chap in there did a physical check of the phone. Went through the menus, checked the camera etc and said it's obviously A grade, no problem, what do you want to switch it for. Done and dusted. He said they often have trouble with the MCE software. So thank you Swansea store. It's well well worth the extra travelling to Cardiff or Swansea if you in the south Wales area. I've personally been in Cwmbran store twice and both times have been terrible. 

Message 7 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12080 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

Perhaps some feedback on the store @Dave-O2 ?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 9

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

Thanks @gmarkj 

@beardyone Can you please PM me your mobile number and the date and time you visited the store and I'll ensure that this is fed back 👍

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 9 of 9