Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE active but no status icon?

MiguelJephy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I've moved to o2 for the first time and although I have VoLTE enabled and the setting is visible under settings, there is no status icon. There is also no HD icon when calling (Vodafone gets the HD icon but no VoLTE icon as does Three).

I'm using a Note 20 Ultra, I have the o2 SIM and an EE SIM in the phone, VoLTE icon shows for EE but not o2, on my previous phone which had 2 EE SIMs it displayed icons for both.

My data remains on 4G when a call is established, but it doesn't provide me with confidence this feature is working correctly, if at all...

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@MiguelJephy 

If 4g remains on screen then it's working.

Some phones don't show the icon on O2 network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

MiguelJephy
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks @MI5 but why would it not show? Seems to be massive discrepancies throughout the UK major networks in how they function.

Seems to me they are following a different specification to that of EE? Or is the icon displayed as a network level discretion?

Also, does O2 not support RCS?
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@MiguelJephy 

It's just how it's written into the firmware as for example I do get the icon on my OnePlus 6.

O2 does support RCS but you need to use Google messages as your default SMS app.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

MiguelJephy
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

Just seems odd Samsung display some form of icon either within the Dialer app when making a call or in the status bar in every network except O2?

I know it isn't a firmware issue as I can use a non O2 branded firmware with the same issue.

Google uses an outside company, Jive for RCS which doesn't use the network infrastructure if I remember correctly, why does it not support such an old feature natively like every other network except Three?
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I can't help with network technicalities unfortunately @MiguelJephy 

I guess it's just something that O2 don't consider as vital.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@MiguelJephy
Is this a Pay Monthly or a Pay As you Go sim card?

It could also be that VoLTE isn't available in your location on o2 hence you dont get the VoLTE icon.

RCS implentations across the globe are a mess, as most operators done implement it to the Global Standards, hence Google bought then built out Jibe as its solution to this messy problem.

It could also be that VoLTE isn't available in your location on o2 hence you dont get the VoLTE icon.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143412 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If 4g remains on screen during a call it is available and working, otherwise it would show 3g.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8