cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone in USA

Anonymous
Not applicable
My mum is going to the US on Thursday. The o2 tarrifs on pay monthly ( as she is) are very high when there. She needs to make a few phone calls within the US whilst she is there. My question is. As her phone is locked to the o2 network here will that stop US Sims from working on it if she picks one up when there. It's a Samsung galaxy s4. Thanks.

o2 need to learn a lesson from the 3 network really on the international roaming front.
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23216 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

If the phone is locked she won't be able to use a US sim. I don't know if there's enough time before she goes for you to get it unlocked. @Anonymous are you certain that the phone is locked? Have you tried a different network's sim in the phone? If it is locked you can use this form: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Also take a look at this thread: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/td-p/540294

By the way, having a Three sim would only help for using data in the US or calling and texting back to the UK. Making calls or texting within the US on a Three sim would be chargeable.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
  • 23216 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

If the phone is locked she won't be able to use a US sim. I don't know if there's enough time before she goes for you to get it unlocked. @Anonymous are you certain that the phone is locked? Have you tried a different network's sim in the phone? If it is locked you can use this form: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Also take a look at this thread: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/td-p/540294

By the way, having a Three sim would only help for using data in the US or calling and texting back to the UK. Making calls or texting within the US on a Three sim would be chargeable.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Personally I Would try and get the phone unlocked before she goes and use a local sim card or buy a cheap mobile there.

Message 3 of 12

Bambino
  • 23216 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

That would be the way to go @jonsie. Having never had to have a phone unlocked I don't know how long the process takes if they use the form? If they can get it unlocked, picking up a Pay & Go sim from AT&T or T-Mobile when they get to the US is the easiest way to enable them to make calls within the country. Coverage on both networks is reasonably good.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
best to buy a cheap pay and go phone while she is there
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies. I think the tugo app is the way to go for my mother. It's only a couple of short calls she may have to make, so as long as she keeps the data off and aeroplane mode when using tugo she should be fine. She's on holiday so being contactable is not too important to her. Also can someone confirm that there is only a charge for receiving voicemail if she retrieves them, not automatically if someone leaves one. Thanks.
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

* Use wifi to call, text and check voicemail * 

Taken from the terms and info in the Tugo app thread wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Personally I would switch voicemail off but there is no charge to receive voicemail if listening over wifi.

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Personally I would switch voicemail off but there is no charge to receive voicemail if listening over wifi.

@jonsie I need to ask something about this TuGo related issue. I go to Spain tomorrow and as you know I only downloaded TuGo in January. My phone voicemail is always set to OFF (whether in UK or abroad). Does TuGo have it's own independent voicemail function? If so...and you are out of range of WiFi and a call comes in....would you be charged for this (with the auto voicemail answering?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

No, if voicemail is switched off within the app no one can leave a voicemail. They will just get the message that o2 can't connect you and to try later.

Message 10 of 12