Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message length and emojis/emoticons

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've put this in the android forum as I think it's android doing it, although I guess it could so easily be O2 doing it.

My wife's phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) has this issue, although it doesn't appear to affect me although my phone works differently (OnePlus 3T).

When she is writing a text message it displays her remaining characters.  Basically she has plenty of space until she puts in a smiley face or other emoji. Then, all of sudden she has hardly any more room in her message.

Why is a smiley face, which is essentially only 3 characters : - ) using up over half of her text message space?

My phone doesn't display a size limit, so not even sure if the same limit applies to my phone, hence I've posted this here as I think it's an android or samsung thing.

I remember years ago you'd have to write an essay before you run out of space on a text message. This has whittled down and down to the point where it is forcing everyone to use stupid shorthand to save space etc.  Clearly aimed at young people.  In this day and age I don't think is acceptable. Most mobile contracts have unlimited texts anyway, so why not just allow texts to be longer?  We don't all want to do social media (me and the wife included).

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
That precise issue is a Samsung thing which they addressed on later phones.
Character count and emojis explained here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
That precise issue is a Samsung thing which they addressed on later phones.
Character count and emojis explained here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/ba-p/1014132
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 I'll have a good read of that. thumbsup metal

Thanks

Steve
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You're welcome mate.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4